Poll

I was thinking...

Author Topic: SWOS in the Stone Age!  (Read 31076 times)

Offline Playaveli

• 'Sherlock'
  • Administrator
  • SWOS Legend
  • "SWOS - A way of life" (J.R.)
    • Visit me on Facebook
SWOS in the Stone Age!
« on: 21 April 2007, 22:52:22 »
Hi folks,

you know, once upon a time SWOS was not playable online. Not even Sega Sensi.
You all were either stuck against the Cpu in career mode or were one of those lucky guys who had a friend or more friends that played with you.
In whatever situation you were back then... what did you think about the world of SWOS?

Were you one of those persons who thought he's the best because of winning with Faroer Island against Italy in the world cup final?

What was your story? Tell us about it... SWOS in the Stone Age! ;)
« Last Edit: 31 March 2016, 18:06:28 by Playaveli »

For those about to SWOS - We salute you
http://www.facebook.com/playaveli.swos

Offline Redhair

• Prophet
  • Administrator
  • Superstar
  • Manic SWOS Preacher
    • Like on Facebook
Re: SWOS in the Stone Age!
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2007, 22:54:35 »
I thought I am good. But I wasn't ;)
Sensible Days Champion 2004 (Amiga Sensi), 2005 (Amiga SWOS), 2006 (PC SWOS & Sensi 06)

Offline Lucaa83

• PRO
    • SENSIBLE SOCCER ITALY
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2007, 22:57:24 »
i didn't think, because i didn't like SWOS when i was kid  ;D ;D, eh eh  ;D

Offline Gloam

• Super SWOS Detective
  • PRO
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2007, 00:57:05 »
Of course one would be rather silly for thinking they were the best in the world all because they can beat the computer.  I always think there are better players than me no matter what game I'm playing.  Besides my suspisions about SWOS were confirmed after play with you lot.

Offline Oli O.

• Dirty juggler
  • Superstar
  • Mr. Bling Bling
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2007, 01:41:20 »
Obi and I thought that we were one of the bests in playing PC-SWOS because we didn't know other SWOS-freaks. :)
In 1998 we started creating effective custom tactics and ever since this step we had many fights against each other on a level like Sensidays, ISSA, online. So in fact from the late 90's on we were probably two of the best PC-SWOS-players you could find.

Now...: Obi has retired, nearly everyone has own tactics, and I'm getting older and slower! :D
« Last Edit: 22 April 2007, 01:42:54 by Oli O. »

Offline Playaveli

• 'Sherlock'
  • Administrator
  • SWOS Legend
  • "SWOS - A way of life" (J.R.)
    • Visit me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2007, 01:47:41 »
Of course one would be rather silly for thinking they were the best in the world all because they can beat the computer.

There are a lot of people like this! But most of them have learned better... ;)

For those about to SWOS - We salute you
http://www.facebook.com/playaveli.swos

Offline EreWeGo

• Cpt.
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2007, 10:16:40 »
...I never thought I was the best player - I thought the AI was the best player actually! ;)
Couldn't believe some of the saves and shots my opposition somehow always seemed to pull off at critical times. I do remember a HUGE sense of accomplishment the first time I had a winning season...

As far as human players - I didn't know anyone that played SWOS, (I come from NZ remember, land of Rugby and...well..Rugby!) - in fact it was Sensible Soccer and SWOS that helped me develop an interest in real-life football matches.

The only human player I beat on a couple of occasions was my older brother - and I stopped playing against him after he broke one of my favourite joysticks after another loss!
:)

Offline FistF***

• TRIAL
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2007, 14:06:55 »
i knew i was great and i was right
I wanna love u

Offline Redhair

• Prophet
  • Administrator
  • Superstar
  • Manic SWOS Preacher
    • Like on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2007, 15:19:55 »
i knew i was great and i was right

LOL
Sensible Days Champion 2004 (Amiga Sensi), 2005 (Amiga SWOS), 2006 (PC SWOS & Sensi 06)

Offline RobbiE

• PRO
  • Attack!
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2007, 11:01:20 »
I'm a true PC Swos player for many years (with pauses in between). Never played online, but once in the Dutch Tournament against others. When I played 95/96 EC I thought I was nearly the only person playing the game. At that time I played many hours a day and played many seasons in a row without any goal against. And yes, I have to admit I thought I'd beat anyone with it when I played on my own pc. Maybe big mouthed but never thought the game would be this popular. I was really surprised that I found articles and communities for SWOS. I enjoyed playing it very much, and it seemed there were some other. I saw statistics online of careers by other players, and I was surprised that others could score almost as much as me. But no records of a career seasons in a row of winning all matches and having no against goals. Still thought I was very good!

But, at some point, my interest for playing SWOS changed to other activities. Didn't play for a long time. Now I have some periods I play much, or less, or not at all. I'll never get back to the level I had several years ago. I don't have the time to practise that much anymore :(
"Every advantage has it's disadvantage" "If you need to win, take out an attacker and put in a defender. Because, before you can attack, you must first capture the ball" by Johan Cruyff, nr 14... What a genius!

Offline djowger

• Goalscoring superstar hero!
  • Management
  • SWOS Legend
  • SWOS - The gameplay that never gets old.
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2007, 12:20:24 »
When i was in elementary school as a kid, me and a few other always went to this after-school place, where they had 4 amigas in a small computer room. Guess what we were playing :P This place even held tournaments in Sensible Soccer. I remember my good friend Dons, beating me 10-4 in the semi final :D and later won the tournament. He had an amiga 500 at home so we played a lot of games at his place. There was other people from my class who also had amigas, except me :( , but we played the game a lot during the 90's. At this time the game was very popular among us.

In 1997 i got my first pc, and someday i found the SWOS 96-97 standing on the shelf in a shop. I had to buy it! I played a 1000 of games vs the pc. I think i stopped playing after i changed to Winows 2000. And simply lost interest.

It wasn't untill i discovered ss.de i started playing again. and thank god for that. :)

I've tried many soccer games over the years, but none has ever been as addicting as swos for the amiga. The simple gameplay and speed is unbeatable.

i hope u enjoyed my story.

Offline Pallister

• Make SWOS - not WAR !!!
  • SWOS Legend
  • Only Amiga makes it possible!
    • *Amiga Shop*
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2007, 12:29:14 »
Well...I remember a time where Wänä and me played all night long this unbelievable game. We played a lot of careers...with Celta Vigo, Padova or other teams. We won nearly everything. I remember especially a EuroCup-Final vs Barcelona. Wänä plays the first half,            1-3  :( . Then, I must play the 2nd. And i scored 4 goals... :D. So we won 5-3! One of the best matches ever! Dramatic!

But we didn't played a lot vs ourselves. But we thought we were soooooo strong. Nothing could happen when we play vs other players  ;D . We dreamt about a SWOS-Tourney anywhere in the world. And that we reach the Final and one of us is the SWOS-WorldChampion. There was no doubt about that for us.

And then...don't know why...we didn't played anymore. Girls or something disturbed i think  ;D . And for many years we haven't played any career or matches against ourselves.

Wänä didn't played anymore for years, and I played sometimes, lonely in my room  :'(, on my Amiga 500. I played some careers. I tried to inspire Wänä a few times...but he only had eyes for NHL-IceHockey on PS2 or other f...ing shit games. Sometimes I was very angry about Wänä's reaction when I talked about SWOS. " Leave me alone with this game, that sucks!" Such sentences tarnished our relationship a lot, because I was a SWOS-freak all the time and couldn't understand this view of SWOS.

Then I met some guys from the north of Germany (Mr.Boehrnz and Rocco). I think it was in 1997. We find out that we shared the same love...SWOS! And we played against ourselves whenever we met. And then, last year, I was on a visit at Mr.Boehrnz home. we drank beer and have fun playing a bit SWOS. After our session, Mr.Boehrnz had a great idea. One of the best ideas he ever had, an idea, that takes me to ss.de. He opens google and said: "Let's search for some SWOS-Stuff!" And it happens....we saw the link to ss.de . We couldn't trust our eyes, couldn't believe what we saw. A SWOS World  ;D That was the 8th Wonder of the World for us. And we said: "WOOOOW! Now we go for the WorldChampionShip! We are the best of the world! Noone can stop us!" LOL

And then...we played the first matches...and lost everything  ;D . And I talked about this discovery to Wänä. Being bored he answers: "Pft! I'm not interested in this!" It was so much work for me, a masterpiece of rhetoric...

You all know the Rest. Wänä and me are freaky SWOS-players and we made it through 2 finals (as it was in our dreams). Not for the WorldChampionship, there are a lot of players that are much more better than us.. But never mind. Our dreams, to play vs other players, come true. And we met some of u in OfflineEvents. And that's great!!

I hope this story didn't bored so much. C ya mates!
« Last Edit: 28 April 2007, 12:33:00 by Pallister »

Offline Waenae81

• SWOS Legend
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2007, 15:48:57 »
Pallister thats absolutely right !!!

I love it !
« Last Edit: 01 May 2007, 16:06:40 by Wänä81 »

Offline demian

• TRIAL
  • River Plate (Argentina)
    • Yerba Mate y Visual C++
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2007, 15:26:18 »
Hi.

I used to play a lot SWOS, for PC, since the first Sensible release. Always offline and sometimes sharing with friends.
I left to play for some years, because the life took me for another roads, (job, wife, kid...).
Until last week, when seeing my son Fausto boring of play Fifa world cup 2006, I thought ???, "mmm what about SWOS, he will adore!".
I didn't find my original SWOS CD, so, I have to look in the  web, then I found you!.

Now I play SWOS again but now with an amazing extra....  I play SWOS with my 6 years old son, (not agains each other yet, but soon...).

And this is GREAT!!!. I am a kid again and my son is my best friend. By the way, my wife is very happy  :P

« Last Edit: 06 July 2007, 15:35:14 by demian »

Offline Pallister

• Make SWOS - not WAR !!!
  • SWOS Legend
  • Only Amiga makes it possible!
    • *Amiga Shop*
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2007, 17:57:11 »
Hi.

I used to play a lot SWOS, for PC, since the first Sensible release. Always offline and sometimes sharing with friends.
I left to play for some years, because the life took me for another roads, (job, wife, kid...).
Until last week, when seeing my son Fausto boring of play Fifa world cup 2006, I thought ???, "mmm what about SWOS, he will adore!".
I didn't find my original SWOS CD, so, I have to look in the  web, then I found you!.

Now I play SWOS again but now with an amazing extra....  I play SWOS with my 6 years old son, (not agains each other yet, but soon...).

And this is GREAT!!!. I am a kid again and my son is my best friend. By the way, my wife is very happy  :P

Wow, mate...sounds really great. Thx for let us take part of this story. And remember...if u want to play vs players from our community online let's meet in IRC #sensible. Where are you from, Demian? Have u visited http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/index.php?lng=en too?

Greetz from Pallister