A guide to create tactics!

More
14 years 11 months ago #63731 by Bomb
Replied by Bomb on topic Re: A guide to create tactics!

But there s something I don t understand. You ve said that it is not important if they have a green tick or a red cross. But I tried to play different existing user tactics, some with crosses and some with only ticks (such as yours). And the teams with the ticks are faster than the teams with crosses. I mean, it seems so.

I agree with that. and I can tell you why.

As this FAQ is for tactics to play against humans and not in career mode, just forget about green ticks and red crosses. They don t have priority here!
---

Ticks and crosses are only important for the development of player values in careers, especially in simulating matches.

I think, they are important for the full potential of the players too, especially when you play online vs humans...

as there are still many players, who don t like to create their own tactics (for example in asl-leagues and because its hard to understand sometimes), I want to present kind of theory about creating good tactics.
playaveli already gave very good advices for tactical aspects. I try to make clear the problem with green tics and red crosses.

here it goes, hafe fun! :P

1)
It will start simple:

Basicly, on the tactic-screen you have 35 spots (for the ball), or call it positions .

On every “ball-spot” you have the possibility, to place every player on (one of these) 35 spots too.

On each “ball-spot” there are good positions for a player (green tics) or “bad positions” (red crosses).
The perfect tactic is, when you reach 35 green tics (on all 35 ball-spots) for every player... but that s nearly impossible.
Its enough, if you “only” reach 25 green tics (or let it be 26 or 27) for every player.
If you reach that, the players will be able to use their full potential. If you get less than, lets say, 25 or 26 green tics, the player will be slower, less ball controll and so on.

So it seems there s like extra stat points for green ticks. I tried it many times, when I created tactics, and at some point of optimising the green tics for a player, he was faster (and had better ball control or passing skills) than before - even if there only was 1 green tic more than before (thats where he passed the 25-green-tic-line ;) ).

When you create a tactic, a good testing partner is Italy: take your attacker and let him run near the right back Mussi, for example Mijatovic of Real Madrid. If he has enough green tics, he – in ball possession – will be nearly as fast as Mussi; without ball he must be exactly as fast as mussi.

To say it short: if every player has 25, 26 ... 29 or 30 green tics (what is already perfect), on the normal main tactic screen (not tactic editing screen!) there will be only green tics, when you choose your tactic - because the standard tactics are not very optimised in this respect.
So short, so easy! :P

2)
And now the problem with it is: if you really want to reach all these green tics, you have to make many “compromises” (that means: sometimes you have to put a player on a position where you don’t want to place him… just because you want to have a green tic! :D ). You really have to check out every (of the 35) positions for a player regarding all the 35 spots of the ball. That can take hours.

Plus: the green tics will dictate your tactic a little bit. That might not be the best tactic for you, but a good compromise, which will not influence your tactic too much is:
When the ball is in front of your own goal, the position of your attacker is relativly flexible, cause he is far away (of the “action”). So there you can place him in a way to have a green tic for sure. Later in attack, you can/must place the attacker like YOU want it, without regarding the green tics (the same for a defender, when the ball is far away: then the green ticks can “dictate” his position).
At the end the most important is, that you have a certain number of green tics:
Its enough, if you got 27 or 28 (out of 35!) green tics (that means, you have 7 or 8 free spots each player).
So if there is one position where you just can’t get a green tic, don’t worry and go to the next position.

3) My custom tactic is based on sweep. I did it pragmatic.
- optimising my defence a bit. At the end its a wall again, but hey...:P
- then I tested all other positions, if I can optimise them (which always depends on your team, of course)
- at the end my tac is a bit more defensive, a bit more compact, but still somehing like sweep

You can do that with every standard tactic. Just optimising… ;)

Don’t forget to switch the flip off! (otherwise there will be some switched positions, especially the attackers, which can cause confusion at the end.

4)
There is one problem I still don’t understand: the “relations” between LW and RW, LB and RB.
Sometimes they both get green tics, if you only move one. And after you moved one (for example the RW), the conditions for the LW have changed too…
That’s strange sometimes, but it’s not really a big problem.

End

(feel free to use and modify my tactic! and to react on this post)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #63733 by Coolio_Jack
Hm, i dont really believe in this theory, but you said u experimented with it, so im leaving a possibility that you are on to something. But anyway, i definetely wouldnt advise someone to place his player to the unwanted spot just to get a green tick.

Btw before i read this, i never since i play swos checked if someone has a green tick.

More
14 years 11 months ago #63746 by Wänä81

Btw before i read this, i never since i play swos checked if someone has a green tick.

You can play with 11 red crosses and nevertheless you will kick some asses ;)

More
14 years 11 months ago #63759 by Bomb
@wänä: of course!!! :D

@coolio: I m not sure of that theory too, but seems so.
you could try like this: take lost bombzz, replace tigana with davids. then load my tactic and change 2 or 3 good positions of davids to bad positions (give him 3 more red crosses). after that he will be slower, weaker in tackling, less ball control etc.
If the result will be no change in his skillz, I m probably wrong...

anyway, a custom tactic is only a tactic; the rest is based on the skillz of a player, of course. when I play for example vs you or playa, I see no difference between custom or standard tactic. Its very difficult anyway ... ;)

More
14 years 11 months ago #63764 by Bomb

i definetely wouldnt advise someone to place his player to the unwanted spot just to get a green tick.

if the player gets faster, stronger in tacklings etc... he can be more useful imo, even if he s not on a good position

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #63837 by Retrieving
Regarding the red crosses argument, well, It s really difficult to prove either way, however, even though I haven t given a damn for the longest time, I ve started to pay attention to that kinda stuff as of late and it seems like they actually make a difference on the pitch (but yeah, could ve just been a placebo all along) so I made a habit of switching the red crossed players back and forth with the reserve goalkeeper to clean their status up...I wonder if it s really worth the time I waste switching around players, lol.

If I owned a camera I d prolly try to record two players with identical skills (one of which would have to be necessarily red crossed ) running from the top to the bottom of the pitch (most likely using one of the bylines as datum point), and then I d calculate how many frames the whole run took for each one of them via computer to get a conclusive result (you could just use the same player and run the test in two sessions, actually).

Also, why the heck most of the strikers in the game come out with a red cross when I switch to my favourite tactic, the Attack ...it ain t that different from a top-heavy 352 really (everybody but the defenders just gets pushed a little further ahead and that s it) has anybody figured this out yet?

More
14 years 11 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #64798 by Playaveli
The SWOS manual changed my mind.
Of course, ticks are important. It makes the player more sharp concerning his skills.
He will perform better.
Read here (first sentence). That has to be prove enough that it s also important (not only) to go for green ticks.
Why else would it be in the official manuel then?

(page 19 of SWOS 96/97 manual)

Also, why the heck most of the strikers in the game come out with a red cross when I switch to my favourite tactic, the Attack ...it ain t that different from a top-heavy 352 really (everybody but the defenders just gets pushed a little further ahead and that s it) has anybody figured this out yet?

This has something to do with their skills. A striker with H(eading) as one of his main skills will get a tick when placed inside the area up front whereas another striker with eg FSV will better be placed a bit behind him.
You will find it most obvious in the midfield. Most of the times a good defender with H and T is getting a tick over a midfielder with C and S in the role of the defensive midfielder. Check it out... ;)
Attachments:

More
14 years 11 months ago #64830 by Bomb
great, never saw that in the manual...

even if I will repeat someone here:

@retri:

yea, replacing players with the second goalie and then back is a way too to reach the green ticks...
but: every player will have a green tick when he gets the position where the goalie was before: just because the goalie is wrong on every position but his goal ;)

for me the effect of a green tick was clear since I made my first tactic. usually I played always sweep with real madrid. in this standard tactic, redondo as defensive midfielder does great, he uses 100% of his abilities. when I created a tactic with a defensive midfielder, redondo was much more slower, weaker in tackling and ballcontrol etc.
and that surely was not an illusion!!!

maybe many players here gave enough good positions (green ticks) to their players in a custom tactic by pure chance in earlier times. so they never made a bad experience with it. that was the reason they could claim, green ticks or red crosses are not important.... ::) and ???

maybe ;)

More
14 years 11 months ago #64832 by _sox_
red crosses or green ticks are very very important, but there are 2 kind of V and X

1th kind is in the edit tattic section (when you build your custom tattic) :
players with green ticks improve (maybe improve is not the correct word, i should say dont aggravate ) their skills. sometimes , to get a green tick you have to move ,for example, an RW in a RB position...so the best tattic is a compromise between green ticks and right position for our game-style.

2th kind is when we fix our team before the game :
this kind of ticks and crosser is usefull to compare one player with another player (or same player in different tattics).

More
14 years 11 months ago #64877 by Playaveli

sometimes , to get a green tick you have to move ,for example, an RW in a RB position...

As I explained already above, this has only sth to do with their skill points.
Example Barcelona (change line-up to 4-4-2):
Rightwinger Popescu has S(peed), T(ackling) and H(eading). These are just perfect skills for a rightback, too.
You will recognize it when exchange him with real rightback Luis Enrique who has ballcontroll (C) besides S(peed) which is more usefull on the RW position. Enrique gets a tick (which means he is more happy as RW, because his lack of Tackling) and Popescu doesn t care if he is RB or RW!
For the same reason Hristo Stoichkov is extremly happy (big tick) when you place him in the attacking-midfield role. Control, Passing and a lot of Speed makes this role being his destiny.

SWOS is a clever game and has a real idea of how football works. ;)

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds