Re: PC SWOS online (++ beta)

More
9 years 11 months ago #123874 by Yossarian
Great news for PC players. Will test it and can t for it to get out of beta status! ;)
Is there a chance we could donate some money to Zlatko for his work? I d love to donate for a project like this this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #123876 by Retrieving
My 2 cent:

Having an inferior version available for online play will only dwindle down further the already plummeting number of players willing to partake into Amiga SWOS competitions (besides generating confusion), because the ones who get easily frustrated by the steep learning curve and ferocious competition will drop it in a heartbeat and flock in droves onto PC SWOS, under the assumption that they d have it easier on that version (and also because it s new and likely, easier to set-up).

Food for thoughts.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #123877 by Playaveli
This version is not inferior, Retri!
The online mode and the way you can start it (in the game itself) is already superior to Winuae+kaillera, and that still in an alpha/beta phase.

Progress in the development of ANY SWOS version has to be welcomed with open arms these days.

Is there a chance we could donate some money to Zlatko for his work? I d love to donate for a project like this this.

Good idea! I ll happily support it.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #123879 by Retrieving

This version is not inferior, Retri!
The online mode and the way you can start it (in the game itself) is already superior to Winuae+kaillera, and that still in an alpha/beta phase.

That s exactly what I meant.

It s more user-friendly than WinUAE, that alone will discourage newcomers from playing the Amiga version (which is also harder to play).

It IS inferior gameplay-wise though. It s basically poor-man s Amiga SWOS, if you catch my drift. No doubt it can be played at insanely competitive levels (see Sensidays) but then again, so can Space Invaders or Pong or Donkey Kong. That s besides the point.

If this catches on it ll be the demise of Online Amiga SWOS, mark my words.

People don t give a shit about gameplay the way us hardcore retrogamers do, they ll just be frolicking toward wichever version is easier to set up and play and that s it.

Case in point: Haxball is a shit game but it s so easy to play and jump into it s managed to pile up 10000x the userbase of online SWOS in a fraction of the time and it s still going strong to these days.

More
9 years 11 months ago #123880 by Playaveli
We ll see what happens. You still have to use dosbox for it... which is the same pain in the arse as Winuae...
Nevertheless, we have to be happy that this project (swos++) is back.

You are an Amiga die-hard... I like both versions, without preference.
My 1 cent: People will play on SWOS, with the version of their choice. That is 100% positive and will attract new players to the online scene.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #123881 by Retrieving
Don t get me wrong, I m happy yet another SWOS version will be available for everyone to play online in a reasonably easy-to-use package (becaus ethat s the kinda stuff that truly preserves a videogame), I m just worried the Amiga SWOS community might suffer from it as a result.

Only time will tell I guess. :)

More
9 years 11 months ago #123882 by Playaveli

Don t get me wrong, I m happy yet another SWOS version will be available for everyone to play online in a reasonably easy to use package, I m just worried the Amiga SWOS community will suffer from it as a result.

I think we should not worry about it. Because of a PC version there won t be fewer players willing to play Amiga online.
It s also possible that through an easy to setup pc online version people will be willing to try the Amiga version later on, after they got into online playing at all...

PC and Amiga SWOS are no rivals... The coexistence will attract players from PC to Amiga and vice versa.

More
9 years 11 months ago #123884 by dior
Replied by dior on topic Re: PC SWOS online (++ beta)
Been there, saw that... Copple of years before we had easy for setup and playing Sega Version and still developing, unstable Amiga version. And people wanted to play Amiga, because of its gameplay, inspite of other issues (configurations etc).

I thinking also that PC online is huge opportunity to bring to the community plenty of PC players that never enjoyed much of playing Amiga version. I see here really big chanse ;D

More
9 years 11 months ago #123888 by MIJB#19
This sounds interesting, I ll give it a look this weekend.

More
9 years 11 months ago #123890 by Playaveli
Got it working fine with ElMichaJ! Just played the first ever PC online games. Worked really good, except normal lags due to me using the neighbours wifi.

Bug report:
- In the team screen you cannot swap players before the match!

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds