Re: Building own keypad

More
6 years 7 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #137936 by gatifun
Replied by gatifun on topic Re: Building own keypad
My first own keypad, amiga one. Thanks Playaveli, Djowger and Emmeti for helping.

Cable : www.amazon.es/dp/B01MXYZ8QO/ref=pe_3310721_189395781_TE_dp_1

Adapdor: stepstick.pl/?35,en_usbjoy20-adapter-con...-your-own-usb-device!

Keycaps: www.aliexpress.com/item/Keyboarded-blank...ght/32781789177.html

Switches: www.aliexpress.com/item/Cherry-cherry-sh...een/32682571027.html

Ok, before the pictures.
BLUE - CONNECTED TO EVERY SWITCH EXCEPT BUTTON
ORANGE - RIGHT
BLACK - DOWN
GREY - LEFT
RED - UP
GREEN AND WHITE FOR BUTTON

FUNNIEST THING:
with the last settings, it doesn t work. DIRECTION KEYS move POV but not XY axes.
Then, I put another switch with yelow and blue. Then, i pressed this button + shoot + press repeated (10 times) one direction. Then, it starts to work.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by gatifun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #137937 by gatifun
FEELINGS:

- the new controller works as a joystick, then, several things change:

- in keyboard, you can press the opposite direction before unpressing the previous one, then you have more and faster dribbling and aftertouch effect. Now, there are several effects very difficult to apply and never with all the power than before
- Now, if I press one opposite direction that I m moving, the controller moves the mov to the center of the joy, then the player stops and I lose the ball
- changing directions of movement is very easier with keyboard. Now I have to pass for every corner of the simulate joystick and at the moment I can t do it as fast as with keyboard

- nevertheless, these switches are very confortable and fast
- to play in sensidays it is better to play with the same controler always

Does anyone have any idea o thought to share with me about this ? thanks

More
6 years 7 months ago #137939 by djowGer
Replied by djowGer on topic Re: Building own keypad

Does anyone have any idea o thought to share with me about this ? thanks

Good job on the keypad Gati! Interesting layout :)

The general feel of controllers was already discussed many times. There are no perfect controller, but surely there are some controllers that fit your style of play better. There are advantages in a way for some controllers in certain situations.

Check out one of the discussions here: www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?topic=25581.0

Personal experience controller wise:
When I started to play sensible soccer I was a joystick player using WICO Command. Then when i started playing PC SWOS 96/97 i bought a few logitech (flightstick style) joysticks. I broke 3 of them and thought fuck it Ill just use keys to save money. I used this pretty much up untill i came to play on a real Amiga 1200 only to realize i couldn t use the keyboard on the amiga. So started playing on joysticks again untill I built the keypads and played on this for a long time. Later I bought a lot of different types of controllers on ebay, mostly to use for offline tournaments. So I playtested many controllers in my time.

My favorites today are Keys and the Arcade joystick by Suzo. I feel like I can do almost the same stuff on either, but I feel like Im faster from side to side on keys and more precise, but faster allround on the joystick. Like mentioned in the discussion there is no perfect controllers.

About keys in general, remember there are different types of mechanical keys mostly having various tactile feel. And there are also different types of keycaps. Test them out so you can find your preferred ones.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #137958 by gatifun
the second one.

I ve use a wooden for the board, but the rest is provisional yet.

Despite there are some key combinations that I can t do with this key-joy-pad as I did on KB-pc, I found I can train to solve it .

Furthemore, red keys have the soft and fast movement that I wish, but i need to make them less high. I mean, to reduce the distance. They already work at the middle of the pressing, then, I ve tried to put some pieces of wooden or metal to reduce the distance. I have nt find the final piece for that, but reducing distance of press it works very easier as I m used with my KB-pc.

Thanks!

PDATA/ I ve made some changes on my wire scheme, basically seeing Djowger pictures, but if anyone likes to know more, contact me pls
Attachments:

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #138095 by gatifun
And 3rd version:

- brown cherry switches
- a rubber ring inside to make shorter every press
- stainless steel board

Attachments:

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #138170 by gatifun
Hey, because one player asked me about colour, I have to tell this:
Hello mate. I changed this a bit.

First, I have to told you that my adapter for usb (because my keypad is an amiga one) is a bit special, that s because I need the yellow cable. But for standard adaptors , you have to connect BLUE for every button even shoot. then, the other pin for shoot is the green cable.

I had to add the yellow because my adaptor have two modes to work ( Press and hold START and Button A for 3 seconds, the D-Pad and the left analog stick mode can be exchanged. ) , and I need to change it connecting together green, yellow and one colour more during 3 seconds every time I start laptop. But, I think you won t need that. (i added one 6th button to do that quickly)

then, for standar adaptors (from amiga 9pin to usb):
- blue for every button
- green for shoot
- red for up
- black for down
- orange for right
- grey for left

maybe if works for everyone or maybe you have to try and test it.

More
5 years 9 months ago #139684 by gatifun

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds