• ARMiga
  • ARMiga's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #124061 by ARMiga
Armiga Project was created by ARMiga
Hi!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmJtF2vIMAA3iU4.jpg:large

We are developing the Armiga Project (www.armigaproject.com), which aims to bring back the Amiga500 in a modern form factor. We have several prototypes running (two of them were presented at Retromadrid) and have recently launched a crowdfunding campaign at Indiegogo (www.indiegogo.com/projects/armiga-project).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmEXIMCIcAAkfuN.jpg:large

You can watch our last video at @RetroMadrid

Yo can also watch te evolution of our project on our youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/channel/UCVVasEzSQE-dotm3fhKN3YQ

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bk7pwnpCMAA_tay.png:large

I hope you find the project interesting enough.

Regards,

Luis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #124062 by Retrieving
Replied by Retrieving on topic Re: Armiga Project
is it a PC running Amiga emulation or is there actual Amiga hardware in there (most likely the former since it seems to be running android as well)?

EDIT: yep, unless I m mistaken, it s basically akin to a netbook with the screen removed, wrapped into an Amiga-inspired case and running some sort of Amiga emulation.

What s the point then...granted, I m no hardcore Amiga fan, however if I wanted to run Amiga games on PC I d do it on my PC, you know.

This better be below 50 Euro or else I don t see the appeal, sorry, cause whatever it does my PC (or heck, even my tablet/phone hybrid) does better.

• ARMiga
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #124063 by ARMiga
Replied by ARMiga on topic Re: Armiga Project
It s a cubieboard2 running an optimized (for ARM architecture) UAE4ALL over Linux but in a transparent shape for users. It´s plug and play.

It has dual boot (Android or our emu), HDMI, network, USB devices and ADF support.

• ARMiga
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #124064 by ARMiga

whatever it does my PC (or heck, even my tablet/phone hybrid) does better.

I respect your opinion, but i can assure you that your tablet/phone doesn t do it better. Your PC... maybe.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #124065 by Retrieving
Alright, so it s a pre-configured, stripped down netbook running UAE.

I can t think of a single noteworthy thing this Armiga might do that my PC couldn t do with a bit of work (and by work I mean 5 minutes of googling). Besides looking nifty, that is.

I think I ll pass.

Bummer cause I would ve loved a pocket-sized *actual* Amiga 600 with USB/HDMI/Ethernet support. I was already like ohsnap, take my money! : ( I guess licensing issues would be in the way of a project like that anyway.

• ARMiga
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #124066 by ARMiga

(and by work I mean 5 minutes of googling).

You are right 5 minutes of googling is enough to do what we have done... good luck.

More
9 years 11 months ago #124067 by Redhair
Replied by Redhair on topic Re: Armiga Project
Looks cool, but seems there is no connector for DB9 joysticks and no support for HDF files/WHDLoad.

More
9 years 11 months ago #124068 by Retrieving

You are right 5 minutes of googling is enough to do what we have done... good luck.

I said that if I wanted to run Amiga games on PC (which seems to be the whole point of your machine) it d take 5 minutes of googling tops (also: free).

So what exactly have you done besides putting together existing, low-budget hardware, pre-loading it with slightly modded third party software and advertising it as an Amiga in modern form factor . That ain t an Amiga.

I get it, it works straight from floppy disks, great, why would anyone in their right minds use Amiga floppy disks on a full-fledged PC when there s ROM s, though? If you can t get the whole, genuine, Amiga-feel, why bother?

Would it add anything to the experience? Doubtful, this is like bundling ZSNES with a physical cartridge reader and claiming that putting the cartridge in there brings you back ...come on.

Besides, to my knowledge, reading amiga disks on PC has been possible for quite some time now (albeit I m no expert my google-fu s strong), so hardly groundbreaking.

Sure it does look cool, the case design is amazing but that s about it.

Good luck though, bro.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #124069 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: Armiga Project
Nice effort and interesting project. Some nice features in there, too (e.g. the disc dump !)
Nevertheless, in case of Amiga in modern hardware, I d prefer a minimig, which isn t based on software emulation, but hardware. You can t miss those db9 connections.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimig

EDIT:
Just saw your aim of 140.000 $... :o
My opinion: Totally unrealistic!

And the promotional videoclip seems to be heavily inspired by the ones from Apple! ;D

More
9 years 11 months ago #124092 by HairFU
Replied by HairFU on topic Re: Armiga Project
Like similar projects (for example Retron 5) I really miss an RGB Output, so you can play on a CRT TV or Amiga Monitor like in old days. For me it is a different feeling when I play old Videogames (include Amiga) on a CRT Screen. This is not only a feeling. The pictures looks different between CRT and LCD Screens.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds