Re: SWOS Piracy - let's kick their a..

More
2 years 8 months ago #145322 by Dog Wednesday
Anyone else had any dealings with Paul Barass on Twitter?

Claims to be selling SWOS 22 (seemingly illegally) and states he's made over 26k by doing so.
He seems to to be incredibly derogatory to this site and Playaveli and insists he's 'the worlds greatest editor'

I'm not sure if English is his first language or he's illiterate but he's been spamming the Reddit forum and Twitter with anything SWOS related.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #145328 by Playaveli
Just report his sites wherever you can! Paul Barrass needs therapy. Poor guy.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Playaveli.

More
2 years 7 months ago #145364 by YourNightmareisHere
I registered specifically to ask, dude what do you even have against Paul? Sure hes not the best with words for sure but he is an amazing dude and a really friendly person. Yes he does sell seasonal swos and he has done it since 2013, and so what? First Swos is an abandonware, so hes technically not doing anything illegal for doing so, second you have absolutely no idea how many hours this guy has spent modifying every single pixel of the game to match each season.

Unjustified hate just because maybe he does it better than you? You know the only reason he ever had something against this site is because of those personal attacks you do to him and try to shut him down for no reason. And i wonder what do you even gain with this?

In case you dont know this was his only way of income to provide to his family the best possible conditions and the well being of his kids, which are awesome kids btw, as he always had issues with jobs because of his difficulty in expressing and talking, so he dedicated YEARS of his life doing a mod for a game he absolutely LOVES! Many dont have the chance to do something like this as a "job" and work boring ass works, being slaves on their daily routines...

And yes Paul is legit, he has never scammed a single soul with his mods before and he SURE wasnt hurting anyone. Even one of the official artists of swos appreciates Paul's work, because hes so F****** passionate about this!

Swos isnt the only thing where this happens either and wont be the last, people have been doing this for years, look at the monster patch and smoke patch on PES!

As for me, i dont know anything about swos at all but Paul showed me his work many many many times and the way he speaks so highly of it and how dedicated he has always been about it is so incredible and amazing that i really got angry to see people like you trying to ruin that magic! I absolutely hate unjustified hate. Maybe its you who need therapy, not Paul!

We live in a rotten society...

Like they say in your language

Auf wiedersehen

More
2 years 7 months ago #145367 by Playaveli
Hi, thanks for your post.

It might be easier to reply with a fact check.

1) "First Swos is an abandonware, so hes technically not doing anything illegal for doing so"

SWOS is NOT abandonware. It is owned by Codemasters (who are part of EA Sports).
You can buy SWOS legally at only 2 places. GOG.com and on the Xbox marketplace. Nowhere else!

Every other (digital) sale of the game is illegal. If you have more questions about this, I can mail you the email address of Codemasters' business developer.

Why do you think Paul has been banned from ebay (3 accounts) and etsy, among other platforms? Because what he does is legal?
If he supports his kids will illegal sales of whatever, maybe you should talk some sense into him, being his friend? If anything, that is what's rotten here... not the society.

With that being said, everything else is almost irrelevant.

But ok, here is another one:
2) "And yes Paul is legit, he has never scammed a single soul with his mods before and he SURE wasnt hurting anyone."

He has ripped off many graphics and data from other mods over the years and added them to his illegal sales, without asking, without crediting, without any consideration... You call this "legit"?

In this community is no place for hate, but certainly for fair play.

Also, we have to maintain a good relationship with the copyright holders, so there is no other way than to distance ourselves from and report illegal sales of the game.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #145368 by YourNightmareisHere
Being owned by someone and being abandonware doesnt nulify each other, the game hasnt been updated or maintained in over 20 years, since this is based on swos 97 (i guess) but okay for the sake of your legal issues lets pretend it is.

As for ebay, mass reporting an account leads to a guaranteed ban and they wont even look at what happened for whatever reason. If what you said was true then ebay would have banned everyone selling swos mods, not just him, and theres a couple.

What maintaining a good relationship with copyright holders even have to do with ebay, if you told me he was trying to sell it here in the site then yeah you have all the right to shut it down to protect your site. Going after him elsewhere, unless you are an employee or a copyright holder yourself i dont see how that is justified or necessary.

He doesnt need to come here and you dont really need to go after him and sending everyone to mass report him everywhere either...

I also hardly doubt he ripped those graphics that you are stating, like right now hes the only one who made Swos22 yet. So how can someone rip off something they done first?

Then about providing using "illegal" ways, we do what we can for our own, in any way we can possibly do... Specially in the hard day we have been living.

Then to finalize, everyone in their life already done something illegal at least once. If you downloaded a song, used an image with copyrights anywhere (Even as their pc's background), watched a movie online or any other way then you already did something "illegal".

Ive met a couple of extreme anti-piracy people in life that in the end were doing something that was also piracy just not in a download form.

But oh well, wish you the best and i kindly ask you to please leave the guy alone. Hes not hurting anyone, if anything he has helped the swos community even if he charges for it by keeping the game updated and relevant after all those years and trust me when i say the guy is extremely passionate about swos!
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by YourNightmareisHere.

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #145369 by Playaveli
We don't have to pretend anything. The game is not abandonware and Codemasters is forbidding sales without a license. That's it.

We do not have the power to shut down ebay accounts, only Codemasters has when they file their reports. So please reach out to them, and explain how passionate the guy is about the game and that he doesn't do anything illegal and needs to support his kids with selling SWOS. Good luck.

www.codemasters.com/contact-us/
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Playaveli.

More
2 years 7 months ago #145373 by thd79

Then to finalize, everyone in their life already done something illegal at least once. If you downloaded a song, used an image with copyrights anywhere (Even as their pc's background), watched a movie online or any other way then you already did something "illegal".

We've all probably done something illegal once. But he's deliberately doing something illegal everyday, and making money from it.

More
2 years 7 months ago #145374 by St.Vitus
That's right to the point. Filesharing for personal use is one thing. Selling copies and making money of this is another league. Especially when doing as main business.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A2 Lite mit Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds