Wehre is evryone?

More
13 years 5 months ago #93406 by dimetrodon
Replied by dimetrodon on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
Yes-yes, I mean the same:
You said they can get many type of help (with and without asking), almost everything, and so nothing more to do.
I said they can get many type of help (with and without asking), almost everything, and even after all, they need something.
That s our position, Is it? I totally respect your judgement, and as I said, I may be wrong. I do not want to convince you, just make it clear in what we agree, and in what don t.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #93408 by dimetrodon
Replied by dimetrodon on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
And something I have forgotten to state: The SWOS community is absolutely and brilliantly helpful. I only have forgotten this, because it is so basic here. I have gotten and will get many-many help. The community is worthwhile even if we don t count the game. Even for a second I have not disputed about this.

More
13 years 5 months ago #93420 by Rock and Roll
Replied by Rock and Roll on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
Concerning transparency etc.

I think a topic or something like that here with who does what could help new (and old) players a lot because it’s not as easy as one might think. E.g. I got a few messages concerning erroneous scores in the Euroleague (I’m one of the league managers there), and the Turkish league (because I post a lot I guess :)). As you know I can’t do anything about that, so I passed the messages on to Lobo. Where can people find that info?

On the chat, who decides who gets operator (ok, I know that but still) and voice status? Which “new” players have been given that (again I’m thinking of players in the 8 and 9 thousands)? What are the criteria?

And concerning the forum, look at the Dutch (Nederlands) subsection for an example. I know this part of the forum has almost been forgotten but one of these people hasn’t been here since June, hasn’t posted since May and his post before that was 2 years before that. Maybe a bad example (extreme), but I think a bit of trimming down in certain areas might make it all clearer. Most things are no-brainers, and can be contributed to laziness, but not all. I don’t mean change a lot (very, very little in fact), but a few things could help in my opinion.

Concerning the demotivation.

I agree with part of your post (a lot of in fact). 10-0 can help some, but it alienates others (especially if people act like jerks when they win by corresponding margins). No-one like getting thrashed, and thrashed again. We all know that there are players you can better avoid when starting (no, I’m not going to post names here), and players (like the guys I mentioned) who are great to play. We’ve got great tutorials, but we could do better…try to update them etc.. Ask the new guys what they want, what they miss / missed (we’ve had a few players saying they miss stuff, saying that they’re struggling to find their way). As we say in Dutch “Stilstaan is achteruitgaan” (standing still = going backwards). Maybe there are a few players who would actually like to show new guys the ropes. It can’t help to ask and try. I think you’re 100% correct in saying newbies need patience and motivation. We’re always going to lose a lot of players to these factors. But maybe if we do a bit more, we could keep a few more (as a lot of people know I’m the president / chairman of a tennis club with around 250 members, for every 50 new members we get, around 40 leave within a year which is better than average…to “keep” the 10 we have to do a lot to help them integrate). It might be babysitting, but most of us have kids…at least we don’t have to change their nappies ;).

And lastly the league manager etc. status.

I had to deliver an end-of-season speech to the members of my tennis club this week. As always I emphasized the importance of volunteers. Same thing goes here, I felt sorry for Lobo having to do so much when you guys were way too busy to help out. A lot is done by few people (and we all know how much work you all do behind the scenes, and we don’t always show our appreciation for it, where’s the ss.de admin appreciation day / tournament? :D). It just strikes me as strange that out of the last 2500 members we’ve only found 4 who’ve reached this status. I can’t put my finger on the reason, but I can say it’d be great if we could find some new admin-blood to help out here. I know you guys try, you even gave me the power to mess around with the Euroleague (mwahahahahahaha :)).

Gotta love these discussions, that’s what keeps this forum, and this community alive :).

More
13 years 5 months ago #93428 by Wänä81
Replied by Wänä81 on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
Hey Rock

Your questions are all answered by Playaveli. Look at the Quote

^^ I have to state the following:
- Almost nobody has been refused such a league manager or event manager status if he asked for it!

But if nobody asks for it, we cannot help it.
I have to point the finger again: Most people are too lazy! And again, we re not gonna change this. Not even with babysitting .
I have tried it a lot of times. Many of the people you see on this admin list had been persuaded by me to take over some work. But in the end, they lost interest.

In my case it was the same. I asked for the whole admin stuff and i get it step by step. Atm i have really less time for SWOS as i want, but i am in the forum to read every day.

Please ask the admins for user-rights. You will get it! And no one will stop you posting here a new Tutorial for newbies or something like that. If you want to work for the community, do it ;)

Have fun with it :D

More
13 years 5 months ago #93469 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?

On the chat, who decides who gets operator (ok, I know that but still) and voice status? Which “new” players have been given that (again I’m thinking of players in the 8 and 9 thousands)? What are the criteria?

^^ If somebody is an event-manger or master, or some kind of league admin, or does any kind of productive work for the community, he will get voice (or even OP-) status in #sensible. That s basicly it.
Condition: He must have an AUTH in quakenet.

E.g. I got a few messages concerning erroneous scores in the Euroleague (I’m one of the league managers there), and the Turkish league (because I post a lot I guess :)). As you know I can’t do anything about that, so I passed the messages on to Lobo. Where can people find that info?

That should happen so rarely that we decided to do that as you described it: Mouth propaganda!
Reasons: The entering process for league results is idiot-proof!

And concerning the forum, look at the Dutch (Nederlands) subsection for an example. I know this part of the forum has almost been forgotten but one of these people hasn’t been here since June, hasn’t posted since May and his post before that was 2 years before that. Maybe a bad example (extreme), but I think a bit of trimming down in certain areas might make it all clearer. Most things are no-brainers, and can be contributed to laziness, but not all. I don’t mean change a lot (very, very little in fact), but a few things could help in my opinion.

A few things? Just name them please! And we ll do something about it.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #93514 by lobo
Replied by lobo on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
2 things I want to add regarding new players.

I do agree it s important for someone to show new player insides of online playing rather than read the tutorials. I would never make it to this site if it wasn t for Pallister s help. Lot of members remember who they played their first online matches with. Check this thread here:
www.sensiblesoccer.info/forum/index.php?topic=3069.30
That s what @ + are on a channel for, plus there are other members willing to help.

Secondly, we have monthly Future Champions Cup in Poland where newbies can compete vs each other. If someone wants to introduce similar one on international stage, feel free to do so. Do not hesitate to ask for support if you need any.

More
13 years 4 months ago #93908 by lobo
Replied by lobo on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
I will set up an ASL Champion of the Future Cup for a trial in December. It will be for players with up to 1.5k SRN only and will last one month just as league season does. There will be a group KO stages, deadlines, etc. Still to find someone willing to run it though. There will also be a nice, fat, motivating SRN bonus waiting for the eventual winner and medalists.

More
13 years 4 months ago #93924 by ruichi
Replied by ruichi on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
I can do it

More
13 years 4 months ago #93926 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?

I can do it

I don t think you should do it! You do already enough, Ruichi!
Maybe Dimetrodon should do it. He said he wanted to take over some responsibility. Here is his chance.

Let s wait on his answer.

More
13 years 4 months ago #93927 by Rock and Roll
Replied by Rock and Roll on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
If any help is needed...just shout in the direction of Clogland :).
Maybe a new player could help out.
Any volunteers.

PS: I ll answer previous posts when I have the time to sit and really think them through

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds