SWOS Open Source

More
18 years 4 months ago #4299 by tomocb
SWOS Open Source was created by tomocb
I thought I d number the following so they can be dicussed individually if necessary. They all relate to editing SWOS in the hope of improving it and a lot of the following should be very possible to do, especially if we can get hold of the source code for the game!

1) One of the first coverdisk demos of the Amiga version of SWOS had teams where players values changed during the season. It was a real shame when this feature was not included in the full version - reason being that the demo did not include every team in the world, so was not memory intensive. however, I m not sure if players were bought and sold, so if someone still has this demo version and could confirm?

2) If player values were able to change, then why can t their skills? Based on their performance, a players skill set should be able to fluctuate based on how well they re doing - just like their value!

3) Having a 20 season career is limiting, and we all know that SWOS can generate new players. So based on the above it should be able to keep going by producing new young players and release retired ones when their skills have reduced to very low levels - just like their value! Could this be possible based on the assumptions in points 1 and 2?

4) Computer controlled players should be able to get sent off! Enabling them to get injured might not be the right thing to do as could potentially injure a Top-Flight opponent for the season and get only one red card. Is this something that could be changed?

5) Two player careers are possible with Hex editing but you have to change it back at the end of every season, which is a shame. There must be some way of fixing this?

These are just a few to get the ball rolling, and if you can add some more with sequential numbering we could have a look at how possible these features might just be!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #4303 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: SWOS Open Source
First of all, these are great ideas!

Here are my comments (well, on the topics i CAN comment):

2) Would be very interesting. But not so realistic as in SWOS only the key players are in charge of the match. Depends on your gameplay...

3) Would be also very nice to extend the careers to maybe 30 or 40 years. If a player retires the cpu should produce a new player with exactly his potential somewhere on the market or as a trial player. Then, you have to be lucky to find him.

4) Absolutely right. I hope someone can do this!

5) Thats easy to fix. Just install another SWOS on your harddrive! ;) One for single-career, one for 2-player-career! ;)

More
18 years 4 months ago #4316 by Captainthunder!
I like the ideas, too...
But i m afraid that we need a professial (SWOS) programmer who can this..and the source-code.
The only person who really did a major update to SWOS (SWOS++), wrote on his disappeared website web.archive.org/web/20040930212825/http:/solair.eunet.yu/~zkz/
that without cource-code he couldn t do big things.

At this moment we only can change some bytes....in order to change teams, players etc.
I ve studied and changed the code of SWOS2 last months for the big AMIGA SWOS update (that comes soon after the draw of the WC 06 december 9th),
but to increase the number of teams in the Championsleague or WorldCup we have to add bytes to the SWOS2 file....

Is there anyone who knows how to add bytes to SWOS2 (or sws.exe) so the game will not crash?
:o
As far as know no-one can add bytes to SWOS2 (execpt the guys who made SWOS++) . : (

And add bytes to increase the number of teams is much more easier than change the code to implement these five ideas.

mattijs

• arclight
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 4 months ago #4328 by arclight
Replied by arclight on topic Re: SWOS Open Source
I think I still have that demo you refer to, but its buried deep in the attic. But I do know for a fact that it was a fully working feature, and you could buy players in it.

What would be cool would be being able to not just extend a career, but also edit the teams so that when new players turn up in RL, you could add them in the game. So that when you play through to 2004 you could add Wayne Rooney, for example. 8)

• Bolerus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago #5629 by Bolerus
Replied by Bolerus on topic Re: SWOS Open Source
you could definatly buy and sell player on the original demo.

Player values did change inthe career mode, usually goign down, But if you played 442 and put a good defender in the defensive midfield spot (for example) his value would sky rocket, but you had to find the right player. Gareth Whalley (from crewe at the time) was perfect at this role, he woudl cost 300k at the beginning, and in one good seasonor two he could get as high as 3m (at which point i would sell him, and buy in a good premiership defender to take hsi postion because he would struggle a bit in the prem)

another value increasing formation was 541 with a good striker raising in value over a good season

Red cards, I may be remembering this wrong, but didnt the last version (96/97) on the amiga 1200 have computer players OCASIONALY sent off.

More
18 years 2 months ago #5630 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: SWOS Open Source
If anyone is interested in further programming SWOS++, please step forward and contact me. I have the source code...

Greets,

Playaveli

• CATS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago #5631 by CATS
Replied by CATS on topic Re: SWOS Open Source
Playaveli has sent me the SWOS++ source code - it was initially my request to try and get hold of it, and luckily for us the author (Zlatko) agreed as he s no longer developing it. I do not have a great grounding in Assembly Language but I am learning to try and keep SWOS editing going and will certainly keep looking into things; although I m very busy with University so don t expect any overnight miracles. ;D

I also have decompiled the Java SWOS Editor and now have this in source code form. I could give that a look over too as I m fairly proficient in Java.

• CATS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 2 months ago #5637 by CATS
Replied by CATS on topic Re: SWOS Open Source
Let the fun commence.

:P

More
18 years 2 months ago #5639 by swoozh
Replied by swoozh on topic Re: SWOS Open Source
Well good luck ! :P

• Skyer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 7 months ago #11554 by Skyer
Replied by Skyer on topic Re: SWOS Open Source
20 careers limit is easy to remove. You can do it in .car file, and I have made it in an .exe file also. Though - don t remember where.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds