Re: 3 minutes in WinUAE vs 3 minutes in DOSBOX

• skrzypson
  • skrzypson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #131562 by skrzypson
Hi all,

it s my first post here, so I think I should introduce myself. My name is Maciek, I live in Poland (currently in China though). I ve been lurking on ss.de for many years now and I m a huge fan of your community. SS and later SWOS were an important part of my life, I spent way too much time playing it (the same I can tell about Quake 1 and LucasArts adventure games).

I never had Amiga, so DOS version of SWOS was a canonical one for me. Few months ago I started to play it again (after many, many years) and just few weeks ago I gave Amiga SWOS a shot. It s great, of course, yet I m not going to tell it s better than PC SWOS. Both have their merits.

But something seemed odd to me, I wasn t sure what, till I noticed a big difference.
I tried to find a topic about this issue, but no success, so I d like to ask you here, guys. It s about 3 minutes match time in both versions.

In PC version (I use GOG edition) 3 minutes match, friendly game as well as a career game, takes about 3 minutes. Sometimes it s 3:10, sometimes even about 4 minutes, it all depends on how many breaks occurred (fouls, celebrations, corner kicks etc.), but play time is always 3 minutes, or even shorter (1:20 + 1:20)

In amiga version (the latest winuae + swos.hdf) it s almost always about 4 minutes. Sometimes match time reaches even 5 minutes!

It s embarrassing to confess it, but I m so nerdy, that I did some tests with a stopwatch (I really have life beyond SWOS! ;)), and it confirmed my observation: 3 minutes in Amiga version take more time than DOS minutes.

Did you also notice that? Is it a bug or a feature? Maybe an emulator issue and clock in DOSBOX runs too fast or winuae one is too slow? Both games work good, very fluid (constant 50 fps in winuae, I don t know how to check fps in DOSBOX, but the gameplay is very smooth).

Sorry for the long and maybe a bit crazy post. But I m sure you swos-maniacs will understand :)

Best regards!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #131563 by atchoo
3 mins are 3 mins here! :)
I tried with Amiga Swos by SensibleSoccer.de, with WinUAE 3.2.1 + swos.hdf and with WinUAE 3.2.1 + original disks in ipf format .
I played keeping or passing the ball, with more than 95% of ball possession. No goals, fouls, throw in, etc. etc. Bear in mind that when a GK has the ball time is stopping so no saves, too.

I think only injury time is a bit bugged: sometimes it is excessively long-lasting and it doesn t make sense since the clock is stopped while the play is not active.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #131567 by Retrieving

I think only injury time is a bit bugged: sometimes it is excessively long-lasting and it doesn t make sense since the clock is stopped while the play is not active.

I ve always been under the impression that, as long as the ball is in play, the referee won t whistle until it s either cleared toward the halfway line or it crosses the 3/4 (imaginary) line in either half of the pitch.

That s got to be the reason why you re able to keep attacking at the 89th or 90th minute for a while on occasions, as long as the ball doesn t go out of bounds or gets kicked back toward your own half (or the goalkeepe catches it). Perhaps it has to trespass the threshold in between two zones or else stoppage time won t run out.

Also, if I recall correctly, the match won t end unless the ball is moving (just stand still at the 89th minute, the match just goes on forever, doesn t it), so their way of determining injury time might just be something along the lines of stop the clock if the ball isn t moving , which would explain why the GK s holding onto the ball won t allow the clock to advance in a similar fashion.

More
8 years 3 months ago #131571 by Playaveli
Amiga PC are the same.

Netto game time (when ball is actually in play) = 180 seconds!
+ X seconds for overtime (in 44th / 89th minute), whenever ball is near the areas.

More
8 years 3 months ago #131573 by atchoo
Ok, but how SWOS calculate that X?

Also, if I recall correctly, the match won t end unless the ball is moving (just stand still at the 89th minute, the match just goes on forever, doesn t it), so their way of determining injury time might just be something along the lines of stop the clock if the ball isn t moving , which would explain why the GK s holding onto the ball won t allow the clock to advance in a similar fashion.

No, if you stand still, but active , match will end. I tried just now. :)

• skrzypson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #131582 by skrzypson
Replied by skrzypson on topic Re: 3 minutes in WinUAE vs 3 minutes in DOSBOX
Thanks for the answers!

I did tests again to check netto time.
I played a few two player matches, so I was able to keep ball continuously in the midfield with no stops - raw netto time :)
In winaue it was always 1:30 + 1:30, in Dosbox: always 1:10 + 1:10! I tried reducing cpu cycles in dosbox, but nothing changed.

Strange...

More
8 years 3 months ago #131583 by Rock and Roll
Is the speed the players move the same? :)

• skrzypson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #131587 by skrzypson
Replied by skrzypson on topic Re: 3 minutes in WinUAE vs 3 minutes in DOSBOX

Is the speed the players move the same? :)

They move slower in pc version, but as you probably know it s the specific feature of this port. It s slower, but fluid, not choppy. For some reason it was intended to be like that by developers back in 1997 :)
if anything the halves in pc version should be longer, so poor sluggish dos footballers had more time to score than their lightning fast amigos.

It can be a problem with dosbox, cause in other old game I play sometimes, NHL 95, 5-minute periods take about 4 minutes. There s a real time clock there displaying seconds, and they go like crazy. Much faster than real seconds. But skaters move with a regular, intended speed, just like the little guys in SWOS.

PS: It seems I should have started this topic in the pc section after all. Sorry for that!

More
8 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #132216 by Playaveli

3 minutes in Amiga version take more time than DOS minutes.

That was a case for Sherlock...

And, yes, evidence proves you are right! Amiga takes more time than PC SWOS.
3mins is NOT 3mins! :o
Have a look:

Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Playaveli.

More
8 years 1 month ago #132217 by Rock and Roll
As we say in Maths land.... q.e.d..
Nice one!

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds