Open Source Editor

• rich
  • rich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #125560 by rich
Open Source Editor was created by rich
Hi All,

First time poster here... long, long time lurker and even longer time playing (Amiga Zipstick back when the game was on shelves, then PC keyboard after my Amiga died). In other words, I m new, but I m not THAT new!

The point of this post is that there seem to be a lot of SWOS tools floating around, but they are all maintained individually and perform specific tasks. I propose the following:

1) A sensiblesoccer.de community tool, which is open-source and free
2) The tool will be maintained on a central repository such as GitHub or Google-Code
3) The tool will be written in Java because
(a) the tools are free
(b) the editor will be runnable on Windows, OSX and Linux
(c) Java is fairly easy to learn
4) Features can be requested by any forum member
5) The tool should be as feature rich as possible, to avoid the need to use multiple tools.

I m really looking to see whether there would be any support for this kind of initiative, or whether something like this is already in the works! I can certainly construct a Java framework GUI that could be extended to add all the features we would need.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #125569 by sokratees9
Replied by sokratees9 on topic Re: Open Source Editor
I like the sound of that, but I m an Amiga man as far as playing Sensible Soccer goes...

• rich
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #125579 by rich
Replied by rich on topic Re: Open Source Editor
Unless there is a big technical reason why Amiga files can t be edited, I don t see why Amiga files couldn t be supported too (a universal tool aims to be as inclusive as possible). I remember that my Amiga 1200 could read and write to DOS formatted 720k floppies - it s not the most elegant file transfer method, but it works!

Support depends on getting Amiga users that can provide testing for any Features (UAE might work for the purpose).

Of course, the editor itself wouldn t run on Amiga due to the lack of an up-to-date Java interpreter, but that s to be expected.

More
9 years 7 months ago #125581 by sokratees9
Replied by sokratees9 on topic Re: Open Source Editor
To me it, regarding the amiga editor, it sounds like something that should be built into the Amiga SWOS Total Pack. I doubt that is written in Java though. But I do agree with you that there would be no reason not to support editing any SWOS data from any system.

More
9 years 7 months ago #125583 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: Open Source Editor

I remember that my Amiga 1200 could read and write to DOS formatted 720k floppies

That does not work. And did not work!
Amiga floppies have 880k, and a different format as DOS.

But transferring files from and to the Amiga is easy with PCMCIA adapter and compact flash card. Works like a plug play drive!

• rich
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #125604 by rich
Replied by rich on topic Re: Open Source Editor
It worked via a utility called DiskWiz. The Amiga drives were able to read the PC formatted floppy disks, but not vice-versa - I assume this was because of a hardware issue, but it may have been lack of software support.

It looks like Amiga Total Pack has the Amiga editor side covered already. I think anything we build would be targeted for the PC version first (Linux and OSX users included).

• bippym
  • bippym's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 11 months ago #139314 by bippym
Replied by bippym on topic Re: Open Source Editor
Amigas (from wb 2.1+) can read formatted 720kb pc disks. Swos however cannot. The file would need transferring from Amiga Disk, to a formatted pc disk on the amiga and the copied to a pc.

There are easier ways though!

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds