Amiga Workbench & Xlent Pro

More
13 years 11 months ago #84514 by djowGer
hi fellow swos ers.. maybe there are some amiga xperts among you. i have some questions regarding workbench and the xlent pro app.

1. I have a recent hd kit installed on an amiga with workbench installed, only it is german. Is there are way to change this to english or is it hardcoded from the install?

2. how do i copy folders with hd games to the workbench desktop , eg. a swos folder which is placed somewhere else on the hd, i cant seem to find a folder that has content of the desktop. A shortcut to the files would be ok aswell. ::)

3. recently i have been using xlent pro to copy files from my compact flash card to the swos folders on the amiga hd, fx installing new pitches, trying synchronateds updates etc. It works, only it seems i can only mark 1 file at the time and takes forever when selecting 70+ files, and then in the end copy. i tried all the windows like shortcuts, to select more than 1 file ;), shift + first file end with last file click. ctrl + a etc. hehe but it doesn t work. there are some buttons on the bottom of the screen, but they are empty in my window. so is there a direct shortcut to select all files on one side of xlent pro?

hehe, there should be a really be forum topic for amiga noobs like me, so sorry for my stupid questions. however i must defend myself by never growing up owning an amiga, so im like many old peoples out there adapting to windows etc ;D

greets to all, from the amiga noob aka. djowGer aka. Poul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #84541 by olesio
I am not a Amiga Expert. I only discovered some WB features under WinUAE and later when I
bought real Amiga 1200. I even do not exacly know what xlent pro app is. But I can recomend
you to download Workbench 3.1 adfs if you do not have any from following url and unpack it:
ulisses32.sitesled.com/amiga/download.htm#13 Later you can download LITE version
of Classic WB from classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/download.htm and install it under
WinUAE and transfer it to your real Amiga. For Language settings you can try choose Locale
icon from System Disk from drawer called Prefs. For placing some icon on desktop - you
can choose Leave Out option from Icons menu and Put Away to put it back. Under a
Classic WB you have MagicManu loaded in WBStartup drawer, which allow you using menu
under right mouse button wherever you click. And answering for last question. For coping
or manage files and drawers in easy way please use Directory Opus under Classic WB and
I also using compact flash card with PCMCIA device to transfer files from/to PC - it is very
handy and easy. Other way is using small file manager which looks like oldskool Norton
Commander called NTP . You can download it from amispec.w.interia.pl/ntp.lha
Also important thing. If you want to use CF card under Classic WB you need to get from
Aminet following files: aminet.net/driver/media/cfd.lha for complactflash drivers.
And aminet.net/disk/misc/fat95.lha for Windows FAT filesystem. Now you can - I
recommend you do this under WinUAE - from cfd.lha unpack compactflash.device file to
SYS:DEVŚ, Cf0 and CF0.info files to SYS:DEVS/DOSDrivers. Now from fat95.lha archive
you only need fat95 file from L directory and copy it to your SYS:L. Do this by harddisk
mounted as directory under WinUAE. When you done copy whole system to your CF card
to some directory and later copy it to your Amiga replacing old files. Btw, but if you want
have some backup for reading CompactFlash card and ability to format your hdd or make
some partitions and still want to see your CF card when your partition with system will be
empty or crash or something. Please use my olesio_sys.adf image and write it to floppy
under Amiga using transdisk ADF-Blitzer program (you can also find it on Aminet) and my
adf is at: www.mediafire.com/download.php?milm5z2mkjy - the adf contain: unzip,
NTP filemanager, simple text editor, HDToolBox, X-Copy Pro and CF card drivers. And I
added MagicMenu for easy usage. Also I packed some files with StoneCracker to fit it on
one floppy. I hope I help you a bit. More help you can get at: eab.abime.net forum.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #84558 by djowGer
thx a lot olesio.

from your post, i have solved most of my problems in workbench. Language is now changed to English, and i found out how to select all files when copying in xlent pro.

It seem the leave out function doesnt work with all files. i get an error msg for some drawers saying cannot leave out this icon .... anyway to change this?

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #84582 by olesio
You can only Leave out file which have icon file called YourFileName.info.
You can create Icons in IconEdit in SYS:Tools or by DirOpus when you click
RIGHT mouse button on Icon Info button at bottom panel in DirOpus. The
button is in second column from the right. Ofcourse file must be selected.
Other way if you got *.png or *.iff file with some graphics and you want to
create icon under Classic WB you can cliick on Run icon at Deskropn , in
new window on System and on Picture- Icon . A new icon will appear
on a Desktop . Now if you drag valid graphic file on it you get icon file
with name filename.ext.info and with small icon graphic. I made icon for a
Kingpin Bowling this way. I made screenshot under WinUAE from a title
screen, later I convert bmp file to png (you can use MS Paint or IrfanView
under Windows or try PPaint from Aminet under Amiga or WinUAE). Finally
I draged graphic png file to Picture2Icon on dekstop and get a nice icon.

More
13 years 11 months ago #84824 by djowGer
i found DirOpus on the internet and installed it.

I have added the icons for the folders i want to leave out on the desktop. And afterwards moved them out on the desktop, clicked leave out. it works great! :) thx

only question remaining is how to access the folders i have used leave out on, from either DirOpus or XlentPro. I need this when i want to copy files to these folders, eg. new swos pitches etc.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #84830 by olesio
Hmmm, like I seen leaved out folder is still visible in original location by DirOpus.
I do not know is it other way to see only a Desktop in DirOpus. Probable no ;/

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds