Can SWOS 96/97 with 2014 update be put onto ADF discs?

More
9 years 6 months ago #125951 by Playaveli
Just use adf-view to copy data folder (original league structure) from update to disk2.
www.viksoe.dk/adfview/

Then transfer it to your Amiga and create a floppy disc from adf file.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• helpau
  • helpau's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #125954 by helpau
Thankyou I will try this!!

More
9 years 6 months ago #125985 by whiteulver
Hi,

A simple answer to question why new data files cannot fit to an adf disk, even if leagues structure is the original one is the follow.

Every TEAM.XXX file is compressed with RNC compressor.
RNC compressor can produce different file size for the same amount of bytes.
Example if we have 2 files with 100 bytes each but different data, then RNC will produce compressed files with different sizes.
Also if a file has more zero bytes then can produce a smaller compressed file. I think that the same applies to zip, i am not sure.

So to fit swos data files to an adf, data should contain equal or more zero bytes than the original data. For example, if you ommit first names in some leagues like Brazil, then brazilian TEAM.XXX file will have more zero bytes so smaller compressed file will be produced.

• helpau
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #126056 by helpau
Thanks again guys for the comments. I have managed to buy a flash drive, pre partioned, already including WHDLoad with SWOS installed!!

After this arrives and I physically install the drive in my Amiga, what do I then need to do to get the drive to work once I switch my Amiga back on? Is there some drivers or anything that need to be installed for the Amiga to recognise the hard drive?

Thanks again guys for any help!!

More
9 years 5 months ago #126092 by olesio
If disk is formatted and partition is set to bootable and system is correctly installed you just need to insert disk to interface and power on Amiga. If not the best way is to prepare drive with HDToolBox tools. There are my adf with basic system to do simple things under Worbech and kickstart 3.X: olesio.eu/olesio_sys.adf

• helpau
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #126097 by helpau
Excellent! Here s hoping it works straight off!! Thanks for the advice!!!

I dont have any additional memory though, and I think that SWOS requires some to work with WHDLoad....

However, I cannot seem to find a 1mb, 2mb or even a 4mb RAM expansion ANYWHERE for A1200 !!!

Does anyone have any links I could follow to buy the correct thing??

Again, many thanks for the help!!!!

More
9 years 5 months ago #126102 by olesio
Exacly for HDD version which we play online you need 3 MB of free RAM memory. For WHDLoad version like stays in readme about 1,6 MB additional for preload tooltype. Ofcourse loading game without preoload alos cannot be done like I remember on my Amiga 1200 when I have no memory extension. Without preload tooltype games still load slowly like from adfs/diskiettes and screen is flashing. So it is still masochizm. And I bought my extention on polish shop efunzine. Noe they do not have any extensions avaiable, so you need to watch some offers on ebay maybe.

• helpau
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 5 months ago #126202 by helpau
Ok, I see I can buy 4mb of pcmia ram for around £50 - however I have heard that sometimes WHDLoad runs slowly with this type of memory?

Also, if I read your comment correctly, can I turn of preload on WHDLoad, and run SWOS without a memory upgrade!!!

I m so confused!!!!

Thanks again guys!!!

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds