Re: Common standard formations in online play? Advantages / disadvantages?

More
6 years 8 months ago #137938 by captaincofresi
Just wondering what the most common formations in online play are? And what the advantages or disadvantages are.

Last half year I played more online, and from what I have seen in the lower divisions (using mostly 16/17 teams) people tend to play either 532, 523, 442 or sweep. For me I do use 532 quite often with Spain 16/17, but I know this can be vulnarable for the diagonal ball as Djowger points out in his videos. Although I also think this depends on the speed difference and individual duels that can be won. Advantage for 532 is I do have players on the goal line to save behing the GK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #137940 by djowGer
Well it is hard to answer what the most common formation is. On the top level players (ASL1 and top in general), mostly 442 and 523 are used. But also Sweep, 352/532 and 424 is up there. There are a few people who play really good on underused formations such as 343 (FOKA), and 541 (Manuel). But the better you know your formation the better you play both in attack and defense, AND BOTH ARE EQUALLY IMPORTANT IN SWOS!

From personal experience I think the 442 has the least weaknesses and best allround attack (most ways to score due to positions), and you can add sweep to this category aswell, only the defense is a little different. If you like high pressure 442 is better, and if you like to wait out your opponent more then Sweep is your choice in my opinion.

If you create your own custom tactic you can mix it up untill you are satisfied, but surely there are some limitations. Ie if you create a tactic that has positions to far away from the standards you will get too many x s and then players will not perform at their best. This is again a compromise between your preferred positions and performance.

I also have to add the importance of your team choice. If you play safe passing on the ground, pick a strong passing team. And if you play more direct you should look at some other stats.

Ie if you like to use the new teams and 352/532, you should pick a team with fast central defenders/midfielders for the defensive midfielders for optimal performance. If you only look at fast defenders, that leaves you with only 2 teams in the 16/17 which are Real and Bayern. In the old version only Brazil 96/97 has this. This is of course only general thinking, but if you use a formation with important players in the center pick a team that has fast players on those positions. If you like to play 424 or 523 then you need faster players on the sides.

Besides playing countless of times, if you want to get better with one type of formation go to the tactics editor and import it. Click on the ball and move it around on the pitch. Then you can see your players movement around the pitch, and thus get a better idea of where they will move to in the next situation.

Hope any of this info is useful to you. HF GG GL GH

More
6 years 8 months ago #137942 by captaincofresi
Thanks Djowger for this elaborate awnser ;D. This is very helpfull.

Could you help me out in getting to grips with the online chat jargon for Sensi again ;-)
HF = Have Fun
GG = Good Game
GL = ...
GH = Good Half

More
6 years 8 months ago #137944 by djowGer

More
6 years 8 months ago #137947 by DoTa
Thanks Djowger for the nice summary *thumbsup*

I also use GJ (=Good Job) ;D

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds