Stadium Events: The most expensive videogame of all time

More
14 years 2 months ago #81351 by Pallister
On February 10th a woman sold her Nintendo Entertainment System from the late 80s. She stated a starting bid of 9,99$.

And that s how it ends: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem item=370330327400

Yep...you saw right. The reason for that price was the game Stadium Events which was a content of the lot. If you ever thought that Giana Sisters for example is rare, this listing prooves you wrong HEHE

I bet you re now saying: Phew...lot of money! But hey, look what happened a few days later: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem item=140384097750

I d like to know your opinion about that...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #81352 by Pallister

Quote from Wikipedia:

The North American, or NTSC, version of Stadium Events is universally accepted as the rarest licensed NES game available for purchase in North America.[...]The reason for its rarity and subsequent high market price is due to its limited production and sales.[10] At the time of its launch during the holiday season of 1987, Stadium Events was only available at Northern-region Woolworth s Department Store, which was a test market for Bandai. In 1988, Nintendo purchased the North American rights to the FFF mat technology and re-released it as the Power Pad.

The two Family Fun Fitness-branded games that had already been released, as well as Bandai s version of the running pad accessory, were pulled from shelves and presumed destroyed. Because of this odd sequence of events, only 2000 copies are believed to have been produced, of which it is estimated that 200 copies reached consumers before being recalled. Today, collectors who follow the online sale of rare video games believe that fewer than 10 complete copies of the game exist, only one of which is factory sealed.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #81354 by Playaveli
OMG!!! :o
I still think it s silly to pay such a price. This money could be better spend elsewhere!
Btw, am I blind or where does it say NTSC on the box?

More
14 years 2 months ago #81358 by Rock and Roll
Yep I d already read about this somewhere else.
The only way I can justify paying that much money is if you a) have money to burn and b) want to re-sell it 20 or 30 years later....

I m waiting for my old pc games to be worth that much ;).
I ve got a lot of old stuff, just waiting to be worth millions ;).

Pacific Islands anyone? :D

More
14 years 2 months ago #81439 by Pallister

More
14 years 2 months ago #81440 by Playaveli
This smells like a fake! Anybody could seal it again and put that holder plastic on it.
800.000 dollars??? LOL...
Image how many hungry children could be feeded with that money. It makes me somewhat sick!

More
14 years 2 months ago #81444 by xflea
I bet these auctions are fake. I d believe if I saw real money transfers... maybe someone is just creating a market, hoping to find one naive to pay real money?

sry, I don t believe anyone pays 800 thousand for a video game...

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #81447 by Pallister
Yep, me neither. But don t forget that Ebay charges horrible fees. And the fee for 800k + Dollar is very high I think. Interesting is the list of retracted bids ;) Seems that someone pushed it to that amount. Hopefully the pusher won it ;D

More
14 years 2 months ago #81456 by xflea
you mean several (or all of them) pushers ... I mean, come on! who would be that silly to want to pay that much???

yep, interesting with the fee that the seller has to pay...

More
14 years 2 months ago #81458 by Ali
am gonna sell my Nes for 10 000 dollar on ebay

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds