Re: Sociable Soccer - Jon Hare's new football game is on KICKSTARTER!

More
8 years 5 months ago #131270 by atchoo

Right here on this forum. Often when a new project is announced, claiming to be sensi style at least one online player (I consider someone that still plays swos competitively today as harcore ) will appear and criticize the project. Either saying it is nothing like SWOS or that the ball physics are not as good. If I am not mistaken, this very criticism is often leveled at the PC and console ports.

The problem is that claiming. Why claiming to be sensi style if it will be different? Because of visuals?
I m not against new old-style arcade soccer games, but they have to show some personality , freshness and deepness*. Otherwise I ll stay on old games (SWOS, Kick Off, ecc. ecc.)

* I m learning new things on SWOS after 4 year I m playing it.
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 5 months ago #131271 by andib

Right here on this forum. Often when a new project is announced, claiming to be sensi style at least one online player (I consider someone that still plays swos competitively today as harcore ) will appear and criticize the project. Either saying it is nothing like SWOS or that the ball physics are not as good. If I am not mistaken, this very criticism is often leveled at the PC and console ports.

The problem is that claiming. Why claiming to be sensi style if it will be different? Because of visuals?
I m not against new old-style arcade soccer games, but they have to show some personality , freshness and deepness*. Otherwise I ll stay on old games (SWOS, Kick Off, ecc. ecc.)

Amen to that my friend.
More
8 years 5 months ago #131272 by higgipoker

I agree. I was asked specifically where are the people who laud the sensi ball physics. This was just my answer to that particular question.

Mostly the name is invoked because it s the most popular 2d footy game, most indie developers are of the age to have played it, and if they make a 2d overhead game with similar graphics and camera they d be criticized for NOT acknowledging sensi. It s clear that s where the inspiration comes from, no matter how close the end game turns out. It s only polite to acknowledge your inspirations.

Some do invoke the name cynically in an attempt to cash in on the name, but I honestly think it s more in good faith as described above.
More
8 years 5 months ago #131273 by Playaveli

Agreed, I use the same criteria and don t find the SWOS physics as good as many people do. It s subjective.

Which retro footie game do you find has better ball physics, iyo?
And please go into detail, if you like into certain criteria.

Correct. The problem is not some hardcore player. The problem is that Sensi claiming.
Imagine a new rock band, claiming to produce an album in AC/DC s Back in Black style... Go away... ;)

Any game, that will be announced as Kick Off style, will face the same problem over at the KO gathering people.
More
8 years 5 months ago #131274 by super_hoops1967
More
8 years 5 months ago #131275 by higgipoker

Agreed, I use the same criteria and don t find the SWOS physics as good as many people do. It s subjective.

Which retro footie game do you find has better ball physics, iyo?
And please go into detail, if you like into certain criteria.

Mine :D Taking into account the detailed criteria I mentioned in my reply to atchoo.

That was not the point of the discussion though, I happen to think that Sensi had the best ball physics of its time. So what? I was merely pointing out my own subjective impression that some players seem to be attached to the physics and label anything different as worse.
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #131276 by Playaveli
To name some game, which didn t claim to be Sensi style whatsoever:
World of Football aka Soccorama.

It had great potential and looked so nice. Too bad, it disappeared (or has rather been cancelled / stopped).
In this forum, it got great attention and nobody posted anything like it s not SWOS , it hasn t got same ball physics etc...

More
8 years 5 months ago #131277 by higgipoker

To name some game, which didn t claim to be Sensi style whatsoever:
World of Football aka Soccorama.

It had great potential and looked so nice. Too bad, it disappeared (or has rather been cancelled / stopped).
In this forum, it got great attention and nobody posted anything like it s not SWOS , it hasn t got same ball physics etc...

Wasn t it a 3D game with an isometric perspective? Of course that s not close enough to the nose to offend the die-hards! ;)

If my memory is correct, the inspiration seemed to be more like Super Soccer on the SNES, not Sensible Soccer.
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #131278 by Playaveli

Out of interest, can you point me to a 2d game of that era where the ball does strange and unpredictable things. Would love to take a look!

Sierra Soccer! You could curve the ball to the moon... ;)

Here is the trailer from WoF:
[flash=500,400]www.youtube.com/v/85-gPMKeQTw[/flash]
More
8 years 5 months ago #131279 by higgipoker

Out of interest, can you point me to a 2d game of that era where the ball does strange and unpredictable things. Would love to take a look!

Sierra Soccer! You could curve the ball to the moon... ;)

Also an isometric 3d game, not a fair comparison! ;)

Actually there isn t much footage online, couldn t get a look at the ball doing unpredictable things... will have to crack out the emulator later!

Incidentally, that game is actually pretty impressive technically (for the time) and does look like a lot of fun. It highlights just how good Sensi was though. Just a much more fluid, responsive experience.
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds