Team Setups in the SWOS Community - Most popular formations and team setups

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #141493 by djowGer
Here is a list of some of the most popular ways of setting up the SWOS teams in the game version 96-97. The list is based on screenshots of the 5 most popular teams in the game.
Brazil, Real Madrid, Italy, Barcelona and Newcastle.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

BRAZIL

5-3-2 / 3-5-2

3-4-3

4-5-1

5-2-3

4-3-3

4-4-2 / Sweep

5-4-1

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

REAL MADRID

4-3-3

3-4-3

4-4-2 / Sweep

5-3-2 / 3-5-2

Italy

4-2-4

5-2-3

5-4-1

4-4-2 / Sweep

4-3-3

Barcelona

4-2-4

Newcastle

4-4-2 / Sweep

5-2-3

4-5-1

Also check out the SWOS team databases for actual player stats here:

File Attachment:
or
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #141494 by xflea
I always put Brazil roster in this SWEEP formation:
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #141495 by Playaveli
Thanks, djowGer for this great topic. Very interesting.
xflea, maybe add some info on why you would place LW Zinho on the DM role? His heading, tackling and passing is on a mediocre 3 skill points. That doesn t make sense to me.

More
4 years 10 months ago #141496 by xflea
It just works fine for me.

I have 4 players with max speed and control in the middle. Ronaldo is put aside on wing for poor control and Silva is crappy in general.

As for passing and tackling - I guess I make more curved heavy passes or direct shots for passes and Zinho has got max velocity. Tackling I don t see any difference...

More
4 years 10 months ago #141497 by AndYpsilon
Really great job, Djowger. Thx!

I have a question about the last of the 4-2-4 variants for Italy (but this counts for some other teams and formations as well): You‘ve obviously put all the best players on the pitch which causes some weird positions: Albertini as defender, Casiraghi and Zola as central midfielders. Isn‘t it right that the strength of a player is downgraded on the wrong positions ingame? I always felt that they are performing worse in these positions than the players who belong there „traditionally“.

More
4 years 10 months ago #141502 by djowGer
Thx for the comments. This post is mostly meant as a help for new players who have no clue how to setup their team. I just tried to gather as many of the popular setups from the top players as possible. There are some old and new ones among them.

I have a question about the last of the 4-2-4 variants for Italy (but this counts for some other teams and formations as well): You‘ve obviously put all the best players on the pitch which causes some weird positions: Albertini as defender, Casiraghi and Zola as central midfielders. Isn‘t it right that the strength of a player is downgraded on the wrong positions ingame? I always felt that they are performing worse in these positions than the players who belong there „traditionally“.

It will always be a compromise between stats and optimal position on the pitch, but I agree with you that the player feels downgraded if he is out of position. The most obvious reason you would place a player in a wrong position is of course speed.

These two setups are from Sasy and an older Schulle setup, so ask them why they choose to setup their team this way.

More
4 years 10 months ago #141509 by Playaveli

Really great job, Djowger. Thx!

It is correct, player looses his strength or sharpness if placed on wrong positions, as stated in the official SWOS manual. And you can sort of feel it, too.

However, there are compromises, as djowGer said. In your case, Andy, Zola is very very good for an attacking midfield role for having 7 in passing and control.

Here is my Italy line-up if I ever was about to play with them:
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds