A guide to create tactics!

More
17 years 1 month ago - 3 years 10 months ago #17116 by Playaveli
Yesterday I had a nice conversation with another player in #sensible! We talked about custom tactics and I tried to make a short FAQ. This topic will be edited in the future to add more ideas from peoples replies... So, feel free to comment and post your ideas.

Tactic FAQ (base: 4-4-2):

The most important aspects for creating a custom tactic to play against human opponents are these:

Striker's department (A):

- put strikers to sweet-spots where you personally mostly score from. Either headers, diagonal shots or whatever... you have 2 strikers, so 1 up front finishing, the other a bit behind for support or catching balls from defenders.

On the wings (LW RW):

- the wingers just like you prefer, far outside the wings or deep in the field to support the center. Or one side far out, and the other support. Imagine yourself playing, on which side you attack more. This player should be more outside...

Central midfield (M):

- 2 players there left. the attacking midfielder should always be next to or even ON the ball. He is your passing man... the defense midfielder to support or fill in holes behind. He is hoovering all the spaces between midfiled, wingbacks and defenders. Usefull to head away long balls into your half.

The wing backs (LB RB):

- From standard 442 are faaar to wide outside. They are useless almost. Put them more in the middle. As you prefer and imagine where you concede goals from. They prevent the common distance shots from outside (Coolio style) and diagonal ones.

The central defender (D):

- Right in the hole between the wing backs and the defense midfielder...this guy is for heading away all the long balls from opponent

The sweeper (more defensive D):

- In deep defense nearly a second goalie for heading balls from your goal line.... and slide tackle the 90th min winner shots from Coolio ;) !

General advices:

As these aspects are for 4-4-2 it is easy to convert them to other tactics. The ideas behind player positioning is the same and should work for all tactics.
In creating your custom tactic, work on every single ball position on the field carefully. It is wise to use FLIP ON at first and finish your tactic with it bacause then you have only one side of the field to work on (it mirrors all changes to the other side as well).
Later on, you can FLIP OFF and vary some positions such as the wingers (read above) and strikers to individualize your tactic.
And always always always imagine yourself playing while doing a custom tactic. And put players to the places you wish them to be on the field to fit your style (a special cross to head in, or a tackling finisher etc). In defense always always always imagine the goals you concede most with your standard tactic and put some defenders around that ball position, mostly between the ball and your goal.
Crowding areas too much is contraproductive because you get confused with your own controls and you may miss a saving header for example.

As this FAQ is for tactics to play against humans and not in career mode, just forget about green ticks and red crosses. They don't have priority here!
---

Happy tacticing!

Playaveli

PS: Topic will be updated from time to time! I choose Coolio 2 times as example because he is well known among the SWOS players in the world.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Playaveli.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #17154 by Pallister
Thx Playaveli for this tutorial. I prefer to play without tactics, but I want to play vs. players who uses own tacts too sometimes. So I created my own tactic. I mean I tried it ;). But there s something I don t understand. You ve said that it is not important if they have a green tick or a red cross. But I tried to play different existing user tactics, some with crosses and some with only ticks (such as yours). And the teams with the ticks are faster than the teams with crosses. I mean, it seems so.

So why u have only ticks in your tactic? Is it pure chance?

More
17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #17156 by Playaveli

And the teams with the ticks are faster than the teams with crosses. I mean, it seems so.

So why u have only ticks in your tactic? Is it pure chance?

Don t be fooled. Players always run as fast as their skill number tells them to do! ;)
Pure chance about crosses and ticks. Just look at Coolio s tactic for example. It is really great and has also some red crosses.

PS: But you re on something here. Of course they seem to run faster because you personally tell them where they should move before the ball is anywhere near them. This way they are already in a better position and have a head start .
About crosses and ticks...of course most custom tactics have green ticks because the standard tactics simply suck in comparism. You wouldn t place your left back somewhere in the far corner, would you?

More
17 years 1 month ago #17158 by Oli O.
Ticks and crosses are only important for the development of player values in careers, especially in simulating matches.

More
17 years 1 month ago #17343 by torpedo
even better way to make your own tactic: just open the online amiga package, load Playaveli s or Redhair tactic, eventually adjust few player positions, and... voila!

there s no way anybody can prove you, that you are only adjusting somebody other s tactic file. it s that easy.

it may sound sarcastic, but - for those comparing SWOS to real football - that s just the way of of the tactic development through decades. famous WM MW tactic variations, or italian catenaccio, developed by master tacticians, were quickly addopted by coaches all over the world.

for those, who say SWOS is NOT like real football, but voting for using own tactics - one of their arguments is always, that we are able to use all swos possibilities to improve. so if you are not so skilful to develope your own tactic, or just too lazy to do that - just take the other s tactic file. as we can all prove it - the game allows for that :)

More
17 years 1 month ago #17344 by Playaveli

there s no way anybody can prove you, that you are only adjusting somebody other s tactic file. it s that easy.

Hehe... believe me, I can spot a copy of playa1... But I agree with your other words!

• polen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago #21928 by polen
Replied by polen on topic Re: A guide to create tactics!
hi,

sorry for stucking the nose in this post but i m having a lot of trouble to make a good tactic for career mode (to value the players and to have green ticks).

i used this tutorial as a base and also moved the ball all the way around in order to get a full good tactic, but it s not enough (specially because after 10 years i m very stucked in movements)

sorry...didnt notice this is for amiga :P

More
16 years 10 months ago #21937 by Playaveli
If you manage a star team, use this tactic that is attached below this post (442.tac)!
Attachments:

• polen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #21942 by polen
Replied by polen on topic Re: A guide to create tactics!
My heart club is sporting lisbon but because i love challenges im with walsall (06/07 update) because there was a portuguese player playing there (jorge leitão) but no stars ;D ... except my ctrl finger :p

PS - thx for the tactic...just made a few adjustments in the defense (weak players and weak coach-player ::)

• doug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 4 months ago #32592 by doug
Replied by doug on topic Re: A guide to create tactics!
HELP
I am of course playing the original (swos 94/95) and trying to get my tactics right so that my team doesnt lose value regardless of their sucess.
What i am trying to find is the ticks that appear next to the player and let you know that you have chosen the correct area etc for that player.
Im sure its quite simple and im just missing something. So ten points to the person that points out the obvious.
Thanks

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds