Re: My AMIGA has been resurrected!

More
16 years 2 months ago - 16 years 2 months ago #34581 by MadnessTiger
Hi All,

I know there are a couple of similar threads on the forum, but just to avoid confusion, I thought I d start afresh.

OK...

I ve been climbing up into my attic, and have dug out 2 of my 3 previous Amiga s (last used around 13 years ago!). I ve cleaned them up and ordered a new monitor cable off Ebay for use with the monitor which I also had up there (Philips CM8533).

One of the Amiga s is an A600, and the other is an A1200. I will be using the A1200, but if anyone has any decent idea s for the A600, let me know!

The A1200 is a standard model with the standard 2Mb RAM, no HDD, but has 1 external floppy drive.

Here s my question to you all... Which would be the easiest/cheapest way of setting up the Amiga to play all my ADF versions of games which I have on my PC?

1) Purchase and use a regular null modem cable with the adfsender software, and copy the files to blank 3.5 disks.

2) Purchase and use a regular null modem cable with the adfsender software,and also purchase a suitable HD drive for the A1200 and copy the files to the HD.

3) Use an alternative method (please suggest), and copy games to 3.5 floppies

4) Use an alternative method (please suggest), and copy games to a new HD

Basically, there s 2 questions here... would it be cheaper to purchase hundreds of floppy disks, or to purchase a 5Gb(ish) HD from Ebay?

And, is it best to buy a null modem cable or to use a different method?

Thanks for your time in reading this.. and I hope anyone can help me out here!

Here s looking forward to muchos SWOS training ready for online play!

PS: I would hopefully we looking at usiing one of Synchronated s updated versions of SWOS on my A1200.

PPS: is this the sort of null modem cable i would require if i went down that route: cgi.ebay.co.uk/Serial-Null-Modem-2-5M-Ca...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #34584 by MadnessTiger
*** UPDATE ***

I ve gone ahead and purchased the null modem cable (as linked above), a 3Gb HD, and a HD cradle for the A1200.

Hope I ve done the right thing here!

More
16 years 2 months ago #34585 by Playaveli
Do you have Workbench discs to make a HD install and boot from HD?

If yes, congrats...perfect choice then.

You can download nearly all games here: www.whdownload.com
Those are HD versions which play without disc directly from your Amiga HD. You only need to transfer them to your Amiga HD.

More
16 years 2 months ago #34597 by MadnessTiger
Phew..! Wasn t a waste of money afterall then!

Just need to jog my memory now and remember how to use Workbench.

I have recently dusted off a really old 586 PC on which I have installed Windows98 and I know it has a serial coms port. Sounds to me like its main job can be to sit next to the Amiga and feed it new games onto the HD!

More
16 years 1 month ago #35675 by MadnessTiger
Hi All,

I have installed my hard drive into my A1200 and got myself a PCMCIA card with CF adapter. I have a 1Gb CF card and have copied some game files to it from my PC.

How do I access whats on the CF card when it s plugged into my Amiga?! I can t find the card contents anywhere!

More
16 years 1 month ago #35678 by Playaveli
To my knowledge you need a driver to be installed. Was there a disc delivered with that adapter?

More
16 years 1 month ago #35680 by MadnessTiger
Hi Playa,

Yes, it was from AmigaKit.com and they supplied a floppy.

I have installed both applications successfully from the floppy. One was called EasyADF, whichlets you create ADF s etc. The other app was called ADAPCMCFL - this seemed to install fine as well (although I cannot see where it has installed to on the HD).

I expected to see an icon appear for the CF card (similar to when you insert a floppy into the Amiga), but no such luck!

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds