Re: Synchronated Updates: SWOS Legends

More
13 years 9 months ago #87030 by Synchronated
Cool, thanks.
In the meantime, all those guys are in the Bayern B team in the 2.Bundesliga.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rw9018
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 8 months ago #87289 by rw9018
Replied by rw9018 on topic Re: Synchronated Updates: SWOS Legends
I still can t get over how much effort has gone into this - incredible!

How did you go about it, and where did you get your information? Did you use a criterion or algorithm to price each player, or just use your gut instinct?

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #87305 by Synchronated
I researched many greatest players lists and then started from a point of international records (caps/goals/achievements), finding the most successful players of each nation (right down to places like Mali). Each player was valued based on these (with some subjectivity, obviously, but also some rules and criteria), and valued quite a bit lower than they otherwise would be, calibrated so that there wouldn t be too many perfect players in the database (which would ruin the balance of the game in Career Mode), and was then assigned several possible clubs (depending on how much he played/achieved with them). All this was placed in a spreadsheet.

Then the National Teams were done based on those values, and the players were then distributed to their first-choice clubs. Top clubs were then selected and created before lower clubs (according to IFFHS club rankings) so that players who didn t make the cut at a massive club might still be available at another club they played for, so that they would still be in the game and available to buy in Career Mode. The very biggest clubs have B teams in lower divisions to avoid nightmares of excluding too many amazing players.

So, clubs were created one by one in this order, slowly, combining the international legends who have played for them (and were already in the spreadsheet) with additional research on their former legends, using things like appearance/goal records in Wikipedia, the team line-ups for the best moments in the club s history, and a lot of footballdatabase.eu for players from the distant past (which are more difficult to find information on), as well as several other sources. All these extra players were added to the spreadsheet as I went along and the team simultaneously created in SWOES. Players who didn t make the cut were shunted to the next club on their list for consideration.

Player photos were then surprisingly easy to find for most of these players for skin/hair colour, and were used wherever possible. Pablo s editor was used to fix foreign market so that Career Mode worked properly, and tests were conducted to make sure it all worked.

So that s it. Geeky as hell but I m very happy with the result so far. I spread the work over possibly 18 months so it was nowhere near as intensive as doing a current update (and obviously it s less time-sensitive).

I ll release a finer-tuned v1.1 sometime quite soon but for now I m working on my second album of the year!

Cheers
Sync

More
13 years 8 months ago #87309 by xflea
hats off to Synchronated!

PS. I d love to have a look at that spreadsheet :P

More
13 years 8 months ago #87314 by MIJB#19
As I said in the other thread (but now I ve actually seen it): awesome, incredible stuff!

More
13 years 8 months ago #87327 by sugartj
Screenshots are crazy. What a cool idea and perfectly done.
I hope I am able to set it up in my WinUAE version or I install PC SWOS from CD.

• grokwick
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 6 months ago #90914 by grokwick
Replied by grokwick on topic Re: Synchronated Updates: SWOS Legends
Great work as every time !!!

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #90922 by dimetrodon
Great work, really apperciatie it! And even better to see the Hungarian national squad!

As a fan of the squad, I have few notes:
- In 1938 Hungary was the runner-up at the World Cup, as I could not find any member of that team in the legends squad. Sárosi and Zsengellér are the most important missing member.
- The 2nd GK is Plattkó, he was a great player, but with just 6 cups in the national squad there were some more legendery Hungarian goalie. He was great manager after, but this another question.
- Defender Szűcs Sándor was martyr of the Stalinist era, but with 19 caps again were more legendary players. Indeed lot.
- Same for Fogl József (except he was not martyr).
- It is always very hard to decide, but some legendary players still missing. World Soccer Top 100 Football Players of the 20th Century has 4 Hungarian players: Puskás, Kocsis, Sárosi and Kubala. The second two for example are missing.
- The Hungarian squad never played 4-3-3 but 3-2-5 (absolutely attacking football :) it doesn t exsits in swos. Also played 4-2-4, it is even better, absolutely not 4-3-3.
- There were a big ballot this year (organiser was the Hungarian FourFourTwo magazine). The best Hungarian experts, veteran journalists etc. voted for the best 50 Hungarian player ever. This vote can be a very good and valid source for selecting the players.
www.fourfourtwo.hu/hirek/magyarorszag/pu...-ferenc-a-legnagyobb
And here is another, by decade (it is based on one persons opinion: nst.blog.hu/2010/03/04/minden_idok_legjo...vs_magyar_valogatott

If I will have time, I will make a list by position to get the legendary 16 Hungarian player! :)

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #90927 by dimetrodon
Here is the list:

GK: Grosics Gyula

RB: Mátrai Sándor
D: Mészöly Kálmán - Sipos Ferenc
LB: Lázár Gyula

M: Bozsik József - Orth György

LW: Puskás Ferenc
A: Albert Flórián - Kocsis Sándor
RW: Hidegkuti Nándor

Substitutes
GK: Zsák Károly
M: Sárosi György, Kubala László
A: Schlosser Imre, Zsengellér Gyula

I tried to be objective, not according to my taste (so Czibor, Sándor K., Nyilasi are not in the squad), but based on the ballot of many experts. I had to made compromise: Hidegkuti is RW in a 4-2-4, which is absurd: he played striker behind the strikers, invented a new position the same as Totti in recent days.) The names are in Hungarian order, English order is the opposite ofc.

More
13 years 6 months ago #91357 by Synchronated
That s really excellent information, thanks! I will apply it if I release a new edition.

In the meantime, I think most/all of the players you re missing can be found at their clubs.

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds