Squad Numbers Revisited

• FalmerOK
  • FalmerOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #137529 by FalmerOK
Squad Numbers Revisited was created by FalmerOK
I recently stumbled across my previous attempts to use squad numbers in Career Mode (nearly six years ago :(!)

This coincided with finding an old USB gamepad in the loft which prompted me to consider what game on my PC I could use it for. SWOS sprang to mind!

Being a frustrated programmer from over forty years ago, I resurrected my previous attempts to develop a career file editor and thought of a new way of protecting original squad numbers. (There is a topic from 2011 where I detailed what my editor called SWOSCARE could do then: Search for Squad Numbers to find it)

An updated SWOSCARE which will run on any version of Windows will have the facility to store the original squad numbers created in SWOES. This is done by utilising a byte for each player which is only currently used if the player name is the maximum length of 22 characters, which I will avoid. SWOSCARE can then reset players squad numbers at any time.

I am currently testing the revised SWOSCARE and will post again when I am confident it works. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #137531 by Playaveli
Nice1! Looking forward to test it... :)
Good luck in your development!

• FalmerOK
  • FalmerOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #137558 by FalmerOK
Replied by FalmerOK on topic Re: Squad Numbers Revisited
So I have completed my testing of the updated SWOSCARE career file editor. This has been done using SWOS++ v1.9.2.1 beta release with the 2016/17 database through DOSBOX on Windows 10.

I attach a SWOSCARE beta release executable and some screenshots which I will briefly explain:

SWOSCARE.exe should be placed in the SWOS++ GAME folder where your .CAR files are held. It is a compiled command line / console window application mainly because of my background in developing client / server software based mainly on Windows NT. I can go into more detail about what it is written in if anyone is interested.

It originates from six years ago and will now run in any version of Windows from XP to Windows 10. On launching SWOSCARE it requests the full .CAR filename with extension. It then offers the choice of a squad display with either career details or skills. I attach three screenshots covering most of the options:

SWOSCARE1.jpg shows the career details display with the ability to amend individual squad member s data which can be bypassed by pressing ENTER.
SWOSCARE2.jpg shows the ability to swap players from team to substitutes to rest of squad. Again pressing ENTER bypasses these options.
SWOSCARE3.jpg shows how to preserve or restore squad numbers. Quitting from this screen saves the file and offers the ability to open another .CAR file.

I know there are some omissions, particularly more rigorous error checking, the ability to update nationality and probably more that I have missed.

Please let me have your comments regardless of how critical they are and any suggestions for SWOSCARE development. Notifications of any errors are welcome and I will try to fix them. Even if you think the editor is not useful, I would want to know :-[

More
6 years 8 months ago #137597 by Playaveli
Very interesting! Good work, mate! :)

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds