Anyone know someone in NY that plays?

More
10 years 5 months ago #121481 by sokratees9
It s been years since I ve played against a human being in a game of Sensi. I need to play against something other than AI. I live in New York, and am wondering if anyone on here knows someone who lives in the New York area that plays the game. So far I ve had no luck when I ask anyone I meet from Europe (you can forget about most Americans, as most barely comprehend proper football).

Also, do you guys have experience of playing inter-continental games? Is there a lot of lag? Can it work over those distances? Maybe I should try that.

Thanks,
Sok

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #121484 by Retrieving
Intercontinental matches won t happen unless we get a brand new netcode (unlikely, albeit the FS-UAE developer might be working on something), latency-induced lag gets unbearable playing Ireland or Portugal from Italy, let alone the US.

It ain t just a matter of distance either; EU internet infrastructures are, for the most part, severely outdated which makes matters worse. Even though I ve had decent ping playing someone from Egypt (no joke), 1 out of 5 matches with EU people I run into someone with a shitty connection (with some people it only works every second day for some reason, go figure), so I guess you d have a very hard time finding a consistent gaming experience playing from so far out.

Prolly still worth a shot but don t get your hopes up.

We used to have someone playing from the US back in the days but there was lots of bitc*ing going on at the time because the dude was clearly abusing lag-tactics to get his way around (not intentionally though, he just didn t know better, besides he sort of had no choice). The thing is, SWOS is an extremely fast-paced game that often requires pixel-perfect accuracy and this, in addition to the time-dependant controls, make the game practically unplayable past a certain frame-delay threshold due to the fact that, depending on lag intensity, adding aftertouch, contrasting the opponents strikers and doing fine corrections on the players movements/ball trajectory becomes nigh-impossible, paving the way to cookie-cutter basic scoring tactics pandering and assembly-line esque playstyles that wouldn t be as effective otherwise (needless to say, some people, whether unbeknownst or not, have been exploiting this to no end like it s out of style throughout the years, sadly, which is why some purists despise online SWOS).

Also, if I recall correctly, a year or so ago there was someone on the forums trying to organize a north american league or something, I ll dig the thread up later, perhaps you can try to reach out to those people to see what s up (although you d probably be better off posting on the NeoGaf SWOS thread cause everyone seems to be from the US on there).

More
10 years 5 months ago #121492 by lobo
Guy Retri refers to was Ejder-Z: www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3638 . He hasn t been active for years but you might want to try contacting him. As far as I remember he was NY based.

More
10 years 5 months ago #121494 by lemonheadiv
I remember Bmarioni (www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=488) wanted to organize an American League. You could try and contact him even though he hasn t been active in a long while.

You can also check out this thread (though it s from 2007): www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?topic=4517.0

More
10 years 5 months ago #121502 by sokratees9
Cheers gentlemen. I fully understand the issues with trying to play long range games.

I ll have a look at those other North America based SWOS players to see if any of them are in any way available.

More
9 years 6 months ago #126182 by Moe
Yep, i m in New York. But i really dont know how to how to play online, i ll look into it on this site and try to figure it out. cheers

More
9 years 6 months ago #126198 by barnettgs
There was a player here from New England a few months ago. He is called deadly on this site so if you can find his name, you can contact him and arrange to play with him online.

Also you can find a help in the irc chatroom - #sensible

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds