Re: SWOS MYTHS / PLACEBOS

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #130917 by djowGer
It is a forum for SWOS discussion so lets debate. I have a problem with the following assumptions about SWOS.

1. Home team performs better than away team (Bulgarians).
I don t get it. Why should they perform better? Im not convinced before Zlatko finds something in the code. I can only see this happening in career mode or CPU simulated matches, but in player vs player. No, not really.

2. The goalkeeper seem to have a meter of self-esteem or something. When he first starts to let in goals, he gives up after 2-3. (Klaris, andib Bjarke?)
Why should this be the case? Goalkeepers only have a value, no skills. Can t even think of a valid reason this should be true.

3. Right wing/back performs better than left side, even if max speed on all players in standard 442. (myself)
Ie. playing with Italy as a team, DI livio and Mussi seem to run faster than what should be the best left side in the game, Del piero and Maldini. Makes no sense for me, since left and right side positions are mirrored, totally the same.

----

What do you guys think about this? Do you agree or disagree, and why?

Feel free to add more if you like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #130920 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: SWOS MYTHS / PLACEBOS
Nice topic, Poul! Interesting hypothesis.

1. Home team performs better than away team (Bulgarians).
I don t get it. Why should they perform better? Im not convinced before Zlatko finds something in the code. I can only see this happening in career mode or CPU simulated matches, but in player vs player. No, not really.

If there is anyone out there who played as much PC SWOS over the past 19-20 years as myself that has to be Marin. So I took some time to think about it. Nevertheless, I never noticed anything like that. Never. Not in career mode, not vs. human opposition.
To me, that is a legendary (Bulgarian) hoax. :D

2. The goalkeeper seem to have a meter of self-esteem or something. When he first starts to let in goals, he gives up after 2-3. (Klaris, andib Bjarke?)
Why should this be the case? Goalkeepers only have a value, no skills. Can t even think of a valid reason this should be true.

That s some Herbie-story. You remember the movie about that white VW beatle, that got his own persona although only consisting of nuts bolts?
SWOS only consists of code which isn t ambivalent and does not transform in the middle of a game.
But, humans fill in the gaps if there is a lack of explanation with some creative imagination (this is, in fact, a big factor why SWOS is so great!). So, when you concede some goals... OF COURSE, that goalkeeper starts to loose self-esteem... ;)

3. Right wing/back performs better than left side, even if max speed on all players in standard 442. (myself)
Ie. playing with Italy as a team, DI livio and Mussi seem to run faster than what should be the best left side in the game, Del piero and Maldini. Makes no sense for me, since left and right side positions are mirrored, totally the same.

If it s not the Herbie-story from above, then it has to do with tactics, and the way RW and LW work together. Remember, you can edit wings as pairs, then they have a direct influence on one another. In standard tactics, FLIP is ON by default.
Tick for a LW doesn t need to be a tick for RW, and vice versa. That has direct influence on the players on-pitch performance.
So, not necessarily a hoax. Some truth in there.

More
8 years 6 months ago #130921 by barnettgs
Replied by barnettgs on topic Re: SWOS MYTHS / PLACEBOS

I was playing several OOO matches with Randapek and in one match, I was able to score a few goals in first 20 or 30 minutes, Randapek subbed his Real Madrid GK for another and it seemed to have worked for him as I found it harder to score afterward.

It has happened a few times and I m not sure why but it is definitely strange. Maybe it s a case of a player not performing as well as he should then he should be subbed?

More
8 years 6 months ago #130936 by AndYpsilon

I discussed this thing with Paider more than once; at the latest at Schulles cup last week.

However, in the end I suppose it s a mental thing. The other player gets pissed and is just overrun sometimes by his extremely motivated opponent.
Therefore it might be easier to get through the lines and thus it is easier to score ;)

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds