Amiga <--> PC | Difference noticed in other games?

More
16 years 11 months ago #20574 by Playaveli
We all know that PC SWOS and Amiga SWOS are different, although the game is the same. It was sold in the same box under the same name, but still... it was different on each system, talking about pure gameplay and graphical elements.

Are there any other games in which you have noticed this phenomena?

This idea came to my mind as recently played Monkey Island (maybe a bad example to compare) on the Amiga. The PC version of it was not different.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #20575 by Stromberg
Colonization. Lousy workbench graphics on Amiga. Full-Screen VGA mode on PC and a bit different sounds. Gameplay-wise no difference though.

More
16 years 11 months ago #20611 by Pallister
Sim City - on Amiga very very cool, lousy grafs ;D But on PC...pft. Not the same feeling, completely different, it sucks!

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #47976 by Playaveli
There are really good videos about that exact topic:

[flash=400,325]www.youtube.com/v/_e4uwzNkUVE[/flash]

[flash=400,325]www.youtube.com/v/cETl8PhUy_E[/flash]

Amiga vs. VGA: Monkey Island 2

[flash=400,325]www.youtube.com/v/lgTrQRSExaA[/flash]

More
15 years 9 months ago #47980 by Pallister
Awesome! Look at Winter Games in the 2nd Vid...1000 times better grafx, same in a lot of other games!

More
15 years 9 months ago #47994 by Redhair
The Amiga had a big advantage:
If you was owner of an Amiga you was always able to buy any game made for Amiga without headaches about hardware and drivers/settings, it just worked. And think about what you had to pay for a PC with the hardware, just to come close to an Amiga! And whatever you was able to do with a PC, you could do this with an Amiga as well (in this times)!

Anyway, 1985 the very first Amiga computer was released: Amiga 1000, the same year were the first EGA graphics card was released. In this time the standard for DOS games was still CGA, this ugly mode you see on Winter Games, 320x200 and 4 colors (black/white+magenta/cyan), not even comparable with C64. In 1987 Amiga 500 and Amiga 2000 were released, and in the same year VGA appeared. In this times the PC games just had 16 colors of the EGA mode, and only if you had an EGA monitor. But an Amiga you could easily connect to a TV, something unaffordable on PC. Amiga was also the first choice for TV stations for video editing and animations. Later then and until the mid of the 90s most DOS games used the VGA mode 320x200 with 256 colors. The Amiga had 32 colors, but a better screen resolution on PAL screens, usually 320x256. That s something you recognize directly if you play PC SWOS and played Amiga SWOS before, the aspect ratio is completely different and on Amiga you see more of the pitch. And because of PAL the game runs with 50 Hz on Amiga, on PC VGA with 60 Hz. I reckon there are the reasons to change the ball physics and gameplay the make this conversion at least playable on PC.

Anyway, it s not always easy to compare the games, in case of Monkey Island it is indeed more comfortable if you can play it from hard disk, something to be a given on a PC. But I neither had the money for a PC nor I liked PCs in general (those boring machines in school, with GORILLAS.BAS ;D), I just loved my Amiga! But Monkey Island 2 was still great on Amiga, the music was lovely, the graphics were beautiful, even with 32 colors and without additionally hardware .. OK, you had to change some disks from time to time, but that s something I could live with.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds