Wehre is evryone?

More
13 years 5 months ago #93353 by dimetrodon
Replied by dimetrodon on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
Yes. This is something I would do with pleasure. (Maybe as I am quite a newbie too, some experience would needed, but already done with the small Hungarian community) My 1st child is to born end of Dec., and I just hope I can stay in the community for month. But after. I hope I am not the only one who have the same opinion, and interested in this topic. Let s discussed it spring/summer!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #93354 by dimetrodon
Till then, I wonder what other people (experienced than me) think: What is the main reason(s) for new players to quit? What do you think, what are the reflections?

More
13 years 5 months ago #93356 by Emmeti
Replied by Emmeti on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
Dimetrodon , it s good to see you re motivated and want to do more...I respect your interest, really!

However , isn t this going a bit of topic from hairfu s post? Maybe it s only my impression...

More
13 years 5 months ago #93360 by dimetrodon
Yes, true. (My train of thought was: No chat - Less player - Some elder go less new come - Many new come, but don t stay)

More
13 years 5 months ago #93394 by Rock and Roll
Replied by Rock and Roll on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?

@ Rock: If you are looking for event-ideas, you better check the ones which were already organized. You can get a huge amount of inspiration, ranging from David-Hasselhoff-Handsome-Man-Cup to Sunday-Coffee-Cup!
Check: sensiblesoccer.de/index.php?site=turniere_ergebnisse (page needs 15 seconds to load!!!!!!)

Yep, that s a place I got/get a part of my inspiration from (and something to drink while I wait for it to load :)).
I use ideas from the good ones, but I also try to think of something new.
My point is I d like to see more of these things organized. Your Community Cup is a good example of this.

Please name them! Who do you mean and who do you think could take over?

Well, check this list: sensiblesoccer.de/index.php?site=community_admins .
(Wänä gave me this link ages ago, I can t find it on the main page)

There are a lot of names on there I haven t seen in my 1 1/2 years here, and some I rarely see.
I’ve received a lot of questions the past few months from new members while I have nothing to do with how the site is run etc. (I only look after the Euroleague, help with ISSF-stuff and create above-mentioned tournaments). I think it’d be a good thing to (temporarily?) delete people from this list, and create a new one showing everyone who does what (or maybe just create a “Ask Lobo” topic seeing as most questions I get, and most questions I ask are (re-)directed to him ).

Second point about the list, look at how many new players have managed to get into it.
Check Amiga League...only 3 new players after Lestat have reached that level.
Check EventMaster... only 4 new players after Lestat.
Around 2500 new players have joined after Lestat, around 7500 before him.
Sure there should be way more players before, but after really isn t enough.

I honestly think the second point has something to do with the way new players are introduced to the community, and I fully agree with Dimetrodon.
When I started I needed help getting online (I finally did thanks to some great guys as BigKingXXL (the first person I ever played :)), Jack33 and Karish).
I didn t know who did what (see my previous transparency remark), and who I was supposed to play to get better.
Not all people want to play new people, I got some not-so-nice-remarks (I m putting this lightly) from some respected adults who actually found it insulting
that they had to play me in Leagues etc... :S
It didn t take long to find the good guys though, Sociopatic was the first guy who actually asked me if he could teach me some things. I played umpteen friendlies
with him, then with Zarathustra and Porcupine 1 (the 4heroes :)). They showed me the ropes, which is something I needed.

Reading / watching videos doesn t compare to playing games against people who really want to show you the ropes.
You don t learn a lot getting thrashed 10-0 in my opinion as it can be really demotivating. That’s what Dimetrodon means (I believe), and I wouldn’t call it babysitting or kindergarten etc.. He’s a new player, highly motivated, and if he says he sees a problem, I’d listen to it. I think it’s a good idea if we had a few people who wouldn’t mind playing new players and showing them the ropes.

@Dimetrodon: I’ve got an idea for a tournament based on this, I’ll speak to you in the chat about it as soon as I’ve fully worked it out.

More
13 years 5 months ago #93400 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: Wehre is evryone?
Generally I don t think it s a problem who is on that community-admin list.
It should be very easy:
- If a new player joins the chat, he sees who is an operator there. Or someone with voice status (+V). It s almost always someone with @ or V online! Except in the middle of the night.
It s a no-brainer to ask one of them for help. That needs no transparency. Because it s more than obvious!
- If a new player registers on this forum, it s easy to see who moderates which board. It s highlighted and you can click on the usernames.
- If a new player registers on ss.de website, he can easily use the contact page. Or if he clicks on ONLINE --- Amiga League he will see who is responsible for which league. It s written down there.

The problem is: Most people are just too lazy! And we re not gonna change anything!

You don t learn a lot getting thrashed 10-0 in my opinion as it can be really demotivating.

I have to disagree. You learn much more if you play against the best players. You see all the possible goals, and also defending strategies.
It s only demotivating if someone comes here and thinks he can beat everyone just because he wins everything in career mode! Or winning a world cup with San Marino.
As I mentioned twice before in my earlier posts: We can t do more than convincing new players that early and many defeats are absolutely normal and unavoidable, no matter how good someone is vs. CPU.
If they do not have the patience to learn, or the motivation, it s their problem. Talking, persuading, etc etc. on top of what we are already doing is kind of babysitting to me.
I hope it s clear now.

Second point about the list, look at how many new players have managed to get into it.
Check Amiga League...only 3 new players after Lestat have reached that level.
Check EventMaster... only 4 new players after Lestat.
Around 2500 new players have joined after Lestat, around 7500 before him.
Sure there should be way more players before, but after really isn t enough.

^^ I have to state the following:
- Almost nobody has been refused such a league manager or event manager status if he asked for it!

But if nobody asks for it, we cannot help it.
I have to point the finger again: Most people are too lazy! And again, we re not gonna change this. Not even with babysitting .
I have tried it a lot of times. Many of the people you see on this admin list had been persuaded by me to take over some work. But in the end, they lost interest.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #93402 by dimetrodon

I hope it s clear now.

It is clear what do you think: nothing to do wit new players. Maybe you are right. You are lot more experienced, not only in playing, but organizing SWOS. Rock, me, and maybe some other players think otherwise. Absolutely possible that I/we are wrong: we are not able and not have to do more. But, I assume, I am almost sure, you dont think it is wrong, just maybe not necessary, important and effective. Can we agree?

Let s see what will the two fathers (of 3 girls :) can do, maybe with others. Rock and me have drive, and have ideas. Maybe I am just naiv and just talking. Me, I even don t know for sure, I could not know if I will lose interest in SWOS, or wont have time. But I think if we try to do something, it is at least harmless.

More
13 years 5 months ago #93403 by Playaveli

I hope it s clear now.

It is clear what do you think: nothing to do wit new players.

That s completely wrong, it s not what I think. It represents only what you interprete into my posts.

Let s see what will the to father (of 3 girls :) can do, maybe with others. Rock and me have drive, and have ideas. Maybe I am just naiv and just talking. Me, I even don t know for sure, I could not know if I will lose interest in SWOS, or wont have time. But I think if we try to do something, it is at least harmless.

I appreciate all your effort. It s great. I hope new players appreciate it, too!

More
13 years 5 months ago #93404 by dimetrodon

I hope it s clear now.

That s completely wrong, it s not what I think. It represents only what you interprete into my posts.

Sorry, I do not want to misinterpret, this is as I have understood.
OK it can be: Nothing more to do with the new ones?

More
13 years 5 months ago #93405 by Playaveli

I hope it s clear now.

Sorry, I do not want to misinterpret, this is as I have understood.
OK it can be: Nothing more to do with the new ones?

Again:
New players already get every kind of help and advice which they need. Technically and personally.
They can play hundrets of friendlies, hundrets of ooo games, join lower leagues, join national leagues, participate in cups etc etc.
It s all possible for them.
They can ask for playing advices, in chat, forum or email: They will get answers!
They can ask for videos: They will get links to it!
They get literally everything they ask for! Many things they even get without asking!

Sure, if you want to organzise weekly amateur cups, or newbie-tournaments, just do it! Noone stops you from doing it. You do not need admin-admittance to do this.
As I said earlier, it s appreciated!

More I don t have to say.

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds