[Request] Beginners Guide to PC SWOS

• steviebwoy78
  • steviebwoy78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #130792 by steviebwoy78
[Request] Beginners Guide to PC SWOS was created by steviebwoy78
Hi guys,

I m not sure whether I should post this topic here, as I don t want to misdirect any traffic around the site, but I just wonder whether we need a REALLY BASIC tutorial for getting PC SWOS and/or Amiga SWOS to work.

I m talking about just a very basic list of instructions to help new visitors to just get SWOS working. We can add extra bits about getting the online elements working, and we can add extra bits about updating the sound/ team data afterwards.

I think we just need a really EASY guide here. I noticed that one of the most visited topics (something like 25000 views) is about getting it to work, but it s related to Windows XP.

I also think that once we get this in place it should be on the front page of the website with stars and lights flashing. We need to build our community. I m not sure that *everyone* wants to fiddle around with IRC Chat and playing against others online, I just think we need to help those who just want SWOS working as it used to.

At the moment, I think there s maybe too much information on the front page of the website that relates to the SWOS Community and the various leagues and Sensible Days. This is obviously great for the hardcore members of the community, but I wonder whether it s perhaps a bit daunting for a new member to navigate. Having two links to the forum is also a bit confusing - I often get lost myself!

FWIW; I m happy to volunteer to do this work, but I just wanted to make sure there was an appetite for it first. I guess the easy option is for folks to just go and buy it from GOG.com or similar - that said, I m not sure if this version is compatible with team updates etc?

Just my thoughts 8)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #130793 by barnettgs
Agreed about the front page and the links - just needs some tidying up.

I have created a manual last year I think - Have a look at it: drive.google.com/file/d/0B88QqGggcbpsTDd...cUk/view?usp=sharing

Although it was to cover for two swos sites but I think it needed to be trimmed down to one version for each website, to avoid the confusion.

• steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #130794 by steviebwoy78
Replied by steviebwoy78 on topic Re: [Request] Beginners Guide to PC SWOS

Agreed about the front page and the links - just needs some tidying up.

I have created a manual last year I think - Have a look at it: drive.google.com/file/d/0B88QqGggcbpsTDd...cUk/view?usp=sharing

Although it was to cover for two swos sites but I think it needed to be trimmed down to one version for each website, to avoid the confusion.

Thanks man, I had a read of that earlier and it was great. The only thing with it was that it seemed to be talking about SWOS Online straight from the start. I don t know whether *everyone* wants this.

II think we need to start with the absolute basics of getting offline PC/Amiga SWOS working on a PC.

Too much complication is going to put people off and those are guys we may never get back.

We can of course add to the tutorial with further guides, but let s just get SWOS working for people and then we can worry about the online stuff and squad updates etc.

More
8 years 5 months ago #130795 by barnettgs

Thanks man, I had a read of that earlier and it was great. The only thing with it was that it seemed to be talking about SWOS Online straight from the start. I don t know whether *everyone* wants this.

Yeah, that was the plan as some newbies were getting hammered with 0-10 scores etc and that can also put them off as well. Just to point it out to them that it is normal. :)

Anyway, I can send you this file if you want and feel free to edit it as you wish.

• steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #130796 by steviebwoy78

Yeah, that was the plan as some newbies were getting hammered with 0-10 scores etc and that can also put them off as well. Just to point it out to them that it is normal. :)

Anyway, I can send you this file if you want and feel free to edit it as you wish.

That would be awesome, thanks. I think I d fare no better than 0-10 to be honest! :D

Doing a user guide would be a quite good personal exercise too, as I need to set it all up again myself!

More
8 years 5 months ago #130797 by DoTa
here is the tutorial:

www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?topic=5077.0

works better now to answer newbies with this link. (to find under Forum-Tutorial)

Website should be updated and implement aswos.exe (the only good working multiplayer, probably plaswos.exe too).

Im working also on a manual. With some informations.

• steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #130798 by steviebwoy78
Thanks DoTA, I just think we need a tutorial for offline SWOS.

How do people get Amiga/PC SWOS working on their PC in the quickest and easiest way possible?

To most people, messing around with Kaillera within WinUAE would be terrifying, so I think this has to be a separate tutorial.

What I think we need, is a link to the files for offline SWOS along with a user guide for how to get it installed. Really basic, easy stuff. Everything I ve read so far seems super daunting to a new player.

More
8 years 5 months ago #130800 by DoTa
Okay. I think offline isnt a problem for the most new Players. Just Total-Pack install and play. :)

Online seems for me more difficult.

More
8 years 5 months ago #130801 by barnettgs

here is the tutorial:

www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/index.php?topic=5077.0

It is useful.

But it s a bit strange that it is not on ss.de website under Guide section and also I have not seen this link posted on the chatroom for any new players.

At the end of the day, just need to make a bit of effort to make it more accessible/visible for newbies.

• steviebwoy78
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #130802 by steviebwoy78

At the end of the day, just need to make a bit of effort to make it more accessible/visible for newbies.

Exactly! 8)

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds