XBOX 360 vs Amiga SWOS 96/97 (which is better)

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #95312 by ro32x
I m a huge fan of the Amiga 96/97 Swos version (now played via emulator on windows with updated player names):
www.sensiblesoccer.info/forum/index.php?topic=18414.0

and I got quite excited when I heard SWOS was being revamped for XBOX 360.
I was hoping that the graphics would be improved, along with some in game modifications.
I would have loved it if they improved all the set pieces, added volleys and overhead kicks, along with better keeper intelligence (including occasional mistakes) so that you could sometimes score at near post, with more tip-overs, parries etc.

But after watching the following vid of the XBOX version:

it appears they haven t really changed much at all, apart from the graphics.
And correct me if I m wrong, but the diagonal curling shot looks far too easy to pull off???

If you have played alot of the Amiga 96/97 Swos, aswell as the new XBOX version,
please let me know which one you think has better game play???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #95316 by The Courier zz
Thats a really hard question to ask and probably harder to answer as all will have their different views. Ive played both but have to admit that have not played the amiga version online via pc. But heres my thoughts:-

amiga 96/97 swos vs Xbla swos are two totally different games with the same starting foundations.

Down sides to Xbla swos (after saying for the thousandth time that codemasters are twats for no patch support)
- There is no way of making custom tactics for your team so you are therefore restricted to the default formations.
- Lag is an issue and while when playing single player you can header and tackle at your leisure, online it depends totally on how well you connect with your opponent in your ability to use these moves.
- No patch to change names to correct names.
- the goalie does cough up the ball and you can header goals off his mistakes as well as do slide in goals from his fluff ups.

Other than that a nice community of players have formed where there is no dropping out and the games are well regulated in the fair play structure. I find that the goal keepers are a little better in xbox version and while the video you showed made out that the diagonal curl was easy to score, it can very much depend on the goalies prowess on the day as sometimes you might shoot 20 diagonal curls and score only 2 past the goalie while other games every one you shoot goes right in. Defence on xbox is a big feature to stopping digaonals and curls and I find that its harder to score the banana kicks on xbox then it is on the amiga version. The graphics are great and the playability is very good once you make peace with the issues it has via codemasters inability to follow through with what they started.

Is it better than the amiga 96/97 version? I dont think anyone can answer that for anyone else except themselves as it will depend on what your personal experience will get from either game modes. I for one love both and prefer playing the xbox version but there are as many who will probably say the opposite.

TC

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #95334 by Playaveli
Offline it s just a matter of taste.
XBLA SWOS has some PC SWOS elements (60hz smoothness, goalkeepers eg) and some Amiga elements (ball- and game-physics).
Amiga SWOS is definetely harder / more difficult to play and to master.

I like both, PC and Amiga SWOS. This is why XBLA SWOS is the offline version of my choice! It s great!

Online XBLA SWOS does not stand a chance compared to Amiga which we play over here!
Why?
- no reliable heading and tackling (which cuts down more than 50% of the playablitiy)
- Replay function always on (totally annoying)
- No custom tactics online
- No DIY mode online, you can only play 1 friendly and have to reconnect after it (idiotic...)
- No use of custom teams online (so, Brazil vs Brazil is impossible, eg)
- Not possible to compete online in DIY league with 4 players at the same time.
- Impossible to save highlight files of great goals in online matches (annoying not being able to show off!!!! ;) )
- You have to use an Xbox controller which is shit, if you ask me!

^^ Amiga SWOS online has all that which makes it an unbeatable experience!
- Amiga online is playable with ANY controller of your choice.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds