Re: A mod for the original Sensible Soccer [WARNING: IMAGE HEAVY]

More
14 years 9 months ago #68179 by Sheepo99
Hey guys.

Ever since I started tinkering with Amiga emulators I had the obcession of somehow finding a way to create a mod for the original Sensible Soccer. My plan was to create a special edition focused on old classic national and club teams while inserting some new graphics at the same time. However I was never able to find an edition that was was unencrypted and thus allowing me to edit more than just the team files.

Well the good new is recently I was able to finally find a an hd version of the V.1.1 version with unencrypted data. And so I got busy and started creating my mod project. I called it Sensible Soccer: Retro Edition. Here s some screenshots of what has been modded so far.

The first thing I found out was that the splash screens were editable with old amiga image editing software. I still have some pratice with programs like PPaint and Deluxe paint 3. I here s the results

The old school leather ball will be the symbol of this mod. Drawn it myself with PPaint. Also wanted to modify the colouring of the SOCCER letters, but I m a bit out of ideas.

Here s the classic menu featuring a smaller version of the new logo. The background is also editable but I still havent though of anything in particular to replace it with.

Is that a new ball? Why most certainly it is. Since this mod is about classic teams, I though the ball should match the mood aswell. And since the ball sprites are available for edition aswell I had no time to lose. The new leather ball adds an awesome retro effect to the game.

And this is what I ve got so far. I know its not a lot, but there s still more to come. I still havent started editing any teams because I was expecting to get some help with the team data. Currently I m attempting to modify the bench graphics and improving certain player sprites. A lot more can be changedm but I dont have the art skills for most of it. Aside from that I intend to replace the original National Teams files with the Custom Teams files and edit them over. This will optimize the game for online play and avoid any kind editing bias, since all teams will be equal in therms of player value.

So I was hoping I could get some help from anyone around with both team data and graphics. I ll be happy to provide all the tools and support I can, since I believe development is more fun when done in groups. Would anyone be interested in contributing.

Oh, and here s the link for the full gallery:

img23.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=001upa.png

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #68392 by Muzzer71
Hi El Mariachi,

That s quite a coincidence, over the last few days I have been wondering if anyone had ever created a classic teams version of the SWOS database, and if not I was thinking of giving it a go myself - so this morning I decided to do a quick search and I found your post.

When you are talking about making a retro edition, are you thinking of changing all the teams to real historical teams? If so then I m up for helping with the database whenever I can... I created the Classics patch for SS06, and have tons of data that could be used. I put together a list of well over 300 classic teams (a lot were British but there were also loads of international teams) and have the squad data compiled for most of them. I also have some additional PES4 and PES6 classic databases that I have collected over the years which could help us create more teams if you need them.

How do you plan to edit the team data? Sorry, I m not too sure about editing data on the Amiga versions - is there an editor or do we have to play about in Hex? Also, how many teams are you thinking of changing?

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #68404 by Sheepo99
Well there are no editors for the original sensible soccer aside from the game itself. So you cant change numbers or player values. Like if that wasnt enough, the HDF version doesnt keep record of your teams even if you save. However I found that both the pc and the amiga version use the same team storage systems, so one can simply edit the teams on the pc version of sensible soccer and switch the amiga version file with the pc edited one. Works like a charm. Values are still uneditable though, so the solution I found to keep teams balanced was to switch the national and club team files with the custom files. Aside from different tactics and numbering schemes, all teams are equal in therms of player value, which is awesome for online players.

As for the teams themselves, I wanted to create a simple databse featuring the most relevant national and club teams of the XX century. So it would be a simple matter of copying the teams i guess. Considering the custom database has about 64 teams, we re talking about 128 teams total including clubs and nationals teams, that is, unless we leave some slots empty.

More
14 years 9 months ago #68408 by Kyon
i like your mod . it looks very cool but i dont see sensi hdf version . which version based your version ? i guess its whd

More
14 years 9 months ago #68413 by EreWeGo
Hi El Mariachi,

sounds like a fun project! I m keen to help where, (and when), I can. (I m still working on my graphics mod for SWOS, but might be able to help with this a bit too).

Nice to see Muzzer on these forums! El Mariachi, I can highly recommend getting Muzzer to help if needed - we worked on many SS2006 mods together, and he was also the team/player data guru! :D

Anyway, will flick some ideas/stuff your way when possible. Just to confirm - you definitely want to mod Sensible Soccer and not SWOS? If so, what version of Sensible Soccer are you using as your base ?

:)

More
14 years 9 months ago #68445 by Sheepo99
I m using Sensible Soccer 1.1 International Edition WHDload installed as base. I chose it instead of SWOS because it s simpler to modify considering there are no player values and the sprites are easily editable with any amiga compatible image editor. Moreover, Sensible Soccer is a fairly less complex game which suits the objectives of this mod perfectly: to center an optimized version of Sensible Soccer around a repository of classic teams, providing players a faithful registry of such teams while hosting the database into a completely impartial and balanced gameplay model suitable for both singleplayer and multiplayer modes.
Finally, there s the tribute factor, which is possibly one of the main reasons that led me to create this project: the necessity of having a game strictly focused on classic football history.

More
14 years 8 months ago #69615 by EreWeGo
Hi El Mariachi, I too was wondering how things are progressing - I haven t heard from you yet...

I ve got some beta graphics for you to have a look at when you re ready.

More
14 years 6 months ago #72606 by Muzzer71
Hi El Mariachi, I m also wondering how you are getting on with the mod, and have you talked to EreWeGo yet? After we first discussed this I created a couple of classic teams with Whiteulver s editor but didn t have much spare time to do anything with them. And since nothing further appeared to happen on this thread it got forgotten.

However, I have now created a few more and would like to send them to you so you can try them out - rather than me creating a whole load and then finding out it s not working? Can I just use your e-mail account in your profile? Also, would you prefer me to send the export files which you can then import into the editor, or the Albania Team File which contains all the updates I have made?

More
14 years 6 months ago #72627 by EreWeGo
Hey Muzzer mate, nice to hear from you! Sounds like you ve been busy, excellent! Not sure what s happened to El Mariachi, haven t heard back at all...maybe if he s lost interest, some of us here could do something with the idea? I ve done some graphic modding for this already, so we might be able to get something going...

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds