Re: Kick Off 2 Tournament - 4th May in Birmingham, England

More
15 years 11 months ago #39901 by Sober
Do any of you guys remember the joy that was Kick Off 2 by Dino Dini and Steve Screech?

Whether you have or not, I thought I would make people aware of a tournament this coming May! Infact, this is not just another tournament...this is a UK Championship! Where players from all over the UK descend somewhere (this year its Birmingham) and play on out of date, energy guzzling computers and relive a much simpler time (their youth!)

BIRMINGHAM - May 4th 2008

Basically, we’ll be hiring a fairly large room which will be packed out with Amiga s and then playing quite a few games of Kick Off 2. Trophies and Medals will go to the best players.

Normally for these events there s typically 15 people or so, however they seem to get far more players attend these in other countries so I’m sure good old blighty can do a lot better! We want to get at least 20!

So what you say? Whether you’ve played the game before or not...there are plenty of newbies who turn up so you wont be on your own and whether you prefer Sensible Soccer..it doesent matter - its all the same...1 button and 1 controller. None of this 20 buttons stuff to memorise. A simpler game, from more civilised times

If you want to enter the realm of KO2 then please do so at the following forum:

ko-gathering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12 t=14644

Alternatively, if you want to email me for more details or to register your interest then please do so at the following addy:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #39902 by Playaveli
I would love to visit a KO2 tournament, just to see how organisation is handled at your events; and then maybe learn new things.
Nice effort, and thanks for posting it.

Regards.

More
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #39911 by Sober
Cheers Playavelli. There are a few guys from Germany attending this KO2 event:

ko-gathering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12 t=14656

Tournament in Milan. Be brilliant if you could attend.

More
15 years 11 months ago #40032 by Sober
Just to let you all know that the venue for the Kick Off part of this has been changed.

It now takes place at the Holiday Inn, in Oldbury. Just off Junction 2 of the M5.

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/...Y4?_requestid=424153

You dont have to attend both days, but if you fancy staying overnight. PM me for details on how you can get money knocked off your stay at the Holiday Inn.

More
15 years 11 months ago #40057 by Playaveli
Do you have any connection to the secretary or how do you rent/pay for this venue?
Got any messenger, Sober?

More
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #40095 by Sober
Essentially, anyone who participates will pay something like £13. This then all goes towards the cost of the room along with the trophies and medals.

Also because it s a Sunday, we got a better rate for the conference room. Plus they said they didnt mind it was going to be quite noisy. ;D

Are you thinking of coming? The reason I ask is because at the risk of sounding xenophobic, the people of the KOA would like to keep this as a UK only event because last year people from oversea s came and throroughly tanked all of us lol. If you r going to attend one, I highly recommend the Italian Champs.

More
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #40144 by Playaveli
Actually, I have no intentions to visit this event. I am only interested in the organization process.
Question: Would this location be available for a SWOS event, too?

And let me get this right:
You have to pay 13 pounds. What does that include?
- Participation?
- Sleeping from... to...?
- Shower possibilities? Washing facilities...?
- Food/drinks?
- etc...?

Would be nice of you to write it a little more detailed if possible. Thanks.

More
15 years 11 months ago #40390 by Sober
Yes, this venue would be available for a SWOS event and if such an event did take place i would certainly attend!! :)

Basically this is what we v done...

Contacted venues that are within a complex so we can have the Kick Off in a Hotel and other amenities nearby such as a restaurant to have a meal. We did find a pub initially and it was double booked so we had to find an alternative venue. Given that this Championship is now a 1 day event it doesent really matter if its near any other amenties. However saying that, their is a pub right next to it. So if a SWOS event did take place, we could go there and have a few drinks and some food after the game. (I think they do food)

Basically the Hotel was £250 for the day, but because it was a Sunday we had it for something like £125. The Hotel provides free tea and coffee. They also offered to put some food on at £9 per head. If people were willing to agree to this then we would have done this too.
Medals and Trophy - all of which are engraved has come to about £21.
Also there will be a small bit of money spent on getting the necessary equipment for name tags.

So basically we have added the three together and divide by how many are attending. Then that s what people will pay.

Regarding accomodation, its upto the user to book themselves. However, when booking a conference room, the Hotel will usually give your guests a preferntial rate - all they have to do is quote a password (in this case: Kick Off :) ) and they get ten quid knocked off their room. This also includes breakfast and the rooms have a double bed and a sofa bed. So people could share if they wanted to and split the cost.

It s all quite straight forward apart from getting new players - im afraid lots of UK Kick Off players are more interested in next gen gaming. :(

More
15 years 11 months ago #40405 by Pallister
Great stuff, Sober. I think this information would be very useful for Lobo Co. to know how much it costs and how to get a location. Thx for this.

OFFLINE RULEZ!!!

More
15 years 11 months ago #41127 by Sober
Guys, just to give you an update...the event went perfectly and it was sooo close!

Here are a few links which might give you some idea as to the things we did which will hopefully benefit SWOS when doing offline tournies.

Click here for Results

Click here for Pictures]

As you can see from the pictures, we tried to make sure (although there was nothing dictorial about it..we just had this to try and make sure people played enough games by a certain time..obviously we went a little over but the Hotel didnt mind :) )
But because we had a timetable, we had time for not one but two cup competitions! Sorted by rank, we had a Gold Cup and a Silver Cup:

Click here for Gold Cup results

Click here for Silver Cup results

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds