PC SWOS Online - A new trail!

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #14002 by Oli O.
So.....:)

It is a little bit complicated, but a nice experiment.

Just search for WTS or Windows Terminal Server or Remote Desktop etc., then you ll understand my idea of playing PC SWOS online.
Terminal services are avaiable for W2k, XP, WinServer2003, just install the adminpak or download it from microsoft.

But this is only the first step. We have to find out, how this stuff works and if it works, we have to think about the hardware. Starting 10 Windows-sessions for 20 players is like running XP or another system 10 times simultaneously on one computer...

Of course, we have to use emulators like vdmsound or dosbox then in those sessions, because SWOS is DOS-based. :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #14003 by Playaveli
This idea is fantastic.

We will test it in a private Admin-meeting in my flat at the end of this year.

As Stromberg said in the Long term strategy -thread it is possible to access other computers and view their desktop, start programs etc...
The question is if also controller input will work!
If anybody has knowlegde of the aspects in Oli O. s post please let us know...

What seemed a thousand miles away for many years is now only a few steps away. PC SWOS online...

More
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #14398 by Stromberg
I just had an interesting try with Marin: We used the new Skype 3.0 Extra Unyte Application Sharing

We could play PC SWOS together, me with my gamepad, Marin with keyboard. I saw everything as usual but Marin had like 1fps cause it access my computer via a webinterface.

Nevertheless: it worked! Unplayable, but it worked. So it should work via VNC :) Question is the fps

More
17 years 5 months ago #14399 by Playaveli
Hmm, cool!

Who of you started the program sws.exe then?

More
17 years 5 months ago #14400 by Stromberg
Me and Marin accessed it via webbrowser. Ofc with VNC it would be a stand-alone program and thus hopefully much faster

• Sharkadder1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #14403 by Sharkadder1
Replied by Sharkadder1 on topic Re: PC SWOS Online - A new trail!
remote desktop is just for viewing another persons desktop and programs and controlling it by using the mouse, im not sure if you can use a joypad or whatever but u cannot run anything with it, you can just move around and show somebody whos stuck how to do something.

Somebody say this works? i try remote access all the time and it goes slow as heck, why bother using this when you can already play via an emulator in the same way?

what soembody needs to do is develop a stand alone program where people load swos and a lobby option is available in which people enter for online play. like take away swos++ and change it to lobby or something.

you dont wan to be going down the remote access route, its slow and leading to a dead end, its like running a virtual machine on your own pc and running multiple sessions theres only so much you can do with it.

More
17 years 5 months ago #14404 by Gloam
Sharkadder1: What you appear to be talking about is a complete reverse engineering of the SWOS code to allow for online play. Seeing as the Source Code was not made available and also considering that the original game made no allowances for online play or even LAN support I would think that the VNC route is the ONLY way to go. Also SWOS PC is a different experience to its Amiga counterpaprt.

More
17 years 5 months ago #14405 by Oli O.
Remote desktop is not only for looking....

But you need a server version of windows for working with remote desktop, so VNC seems to be the best choice.

• Sharkadder1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 5 months ago - 17 years 5 months ago #14408 by Sharkadder1
Replied by Sharkadder1 on topic Re: PC SWOS Online - A new trail!
if you are on a lan you dont need a server version we use it at uni with XP, just go into control panel, turn remote desktop on, go into accessories and system tools and connect to another computer on the network if you know there IP.

Yeh i know swos was never intended for online play and neither was amiga swos so if somebody can develop a tool to play amiga swos online then somebody can surely have ago with the pc 1 right? or did the amiga code get leaked and the pc 1 didnt?

and you say its the best choice? i thought it was unplayable

More
17 years 5 months ago #14409 by Gloam
As far as I m aware VNC has not been tested yet. The Amiga online uses Kailera which as far as I know is not supported by DosBox although... I m sure it could be done, well I m sure if it could someone would ve done it by now so maybe i m wrong as regards that last bit. Anyways it s all speculation at this point I guess...

Time to create page: 0.356 seconds