Uefa Cup Winners Cup 2021 - SWOS 2020 - Amiga

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #145460 by Gosen
I played Cup Winners Cup, using current squads and domestic cup champions from 20/21 season (if postponed due to covid I took the recent ones from some countries). I used 43 leagues in-game and divided them into two groups - top 21 in Uefa ranking started from the first round, rest had to play qualifiers. I always controlled home team, while away team was AI. Away goals were turned off, following the current rules in football. Here are the results and my comment:

Results I don't understand, the x-files results are: Genk-Salbzurg and the first leg in final. Haaland sucked, so I took 16 year old Moukoko and he was far too OP (as well as Orsic, Onuachu from Genk and Messi, yeah he played like his prime, not the current one). I also think that GK should be better due to game engine limitations. From what I understand creator (great work!) of current database took transfermarkt to make it, but for GKs, they should be much better, as in real life the average difference between goalkeepers isn't that big. Even San Marino GK is not that bad as one star. Except for the top (like Neuer or Oblak), most average clubs should have similar goalkeepers with at least 3 stars or more to give them better chance defending against top players. For example Zagreb GK had 4 stars, which seemed a lot for a club like that, meanwhile others had 2,5 or 3, which felt too low, hence some crazy results happened despite those teams weren't that bad. Ajax felt too weak, but overall for the rest I think it was pretty realistic. PSG should be OP and as you can see team from top5 leagues made it into the top4 (only Juventus were missing, but they had bad luck with PSG, Mbappe scoring at 90th). Also, better GKs give more chance in penalties. In SWOS the better team always win, but with a bit better goalkeepers you give them slight chance to compete (like in real life).

I give you link just in case, because for some reason attachment made the image too small: i.ibb.co/FxN6L8g/swos20cwc.png

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Gosen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #145517 by Sinnesloeschen
I play SWOS since the release back in 1995, and what makes this game still so enjoyable (Besides the speed and control) is the unpredictable nature of it all.

Play a match with exactly the same variables (Squad, tactics, pitch) again and you might end up with a wildly different result. There are so many little things here that makes every match feel fresh.
And if you feel the teams should be different, well, you gotta get into the editor as posted in your other thread. ;)

But over the years of playing career mode i also noticed a few quirks that i cannot really confirm or deny since it might just be my playing style or seeing patterns where none exist;

- I play better against top teams in league matches than against lower skill teams (I can't count how often i lost points against the last team lol)
- In cup matches top teams in later rounds are more challenging than in earlier rounds (Both national and international cups)
- Computed results have an unusual amount of ties
- Some teams end up having what seems to be a computed-result "streak", constantly winning or losing for a while almost regardless of their quality

The most crazy thing i saw concerning computed results was Leeds United getting relegated to third tier (Yes, the current premier league team). So i dunno, it allways feels like there is more going on behind the scenes when it comes to computed results. But again, might just be seeing patterns where non exist.

Someone who actually dug into the code might be able to shed some light into the computed results.

Errr, sorry for hi-jacking this thread to waffle lol. ^^

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #145518 by Playaveli
Computed results are based on teams' and players' skills points, and those go by a specific order:
www.sensiblesoccer.de/forum/swos-related...-experiment-analysis

Then, there is a little bit of an X-Factor involved, to make surprises possible, but unlikely. (That is a tiny variable only!)

That's it.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Playaveli.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #145521 by Sinnesloeschen
Haha, as i expected, seeing patterns where none exist. :p

That's an interesting thread/experiment, especially seeing how in "view result" (Except for "speed") all the crap skills are valued more (Well, i personally don't give a damn about "heading", "tackling" or "passing" - there might be value to them with different playstyles...maybe).

Edit: Now i'm curious though, what's your experience when it comes to actual playing matches against the CPU?
Are there any oddities you noticed? Or do i really just have an "underdog complex" and play shite against lesser skilled teams (It's probably that, isn't it lol...)?
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Sinnesloeschen.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #145522 by Gosen
I did Champions League in the classic format and I got more surprises than in Cup Winner's Cup. As before - I always played as home team.

ibb.co/bFztmcV

It just depends on what modder did. Some of player were far too good, some too weak for their real counterparts. As I mentioned before - you never should put value of GK based on transfermarkt, because in this game it's the only number, which matters for GK skill, hence some of those goalkeepers were shit only because their market value is low (mainly due to age). Some of the no-name players like those in Ludogorets have crazy shooting stats, hence so many goals. Dinamo Zagreb was great in CWC and they did great as well here, but it's stupid that they have GK who is on the same level as Neuer.

There is also formation/forward factor. For example Bayern sucks, because playing with just single forward in this game is impossible, although I did well with City, mainly because lot of lucky goals from distance. The best one to me seemed 442 and 343. The worst definitely 424 and it's kind of easy to play against 433, because there's lack of central midfielders.

Besides there are anomalies, like in real life, when once for a while you score/lose more goals than in average game. That happened in game between BVB-PSG and probably in City-Lille as well (lost two goals, despite 3:0 in 89th minute!).
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Gosen.

More
2 years 4 months ago #145523 by Playaveli

Edit: Now i'm curious though, what's your experience when it comes to actual playing matches against the CPU?
Are there any oddities you noticed? Or do i really just have an "underdog complex" and play shite against lesser skilled teams (It's probably that, isn't it lol...)?

That's all just placebo.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds