Re: What's the best soccer game, excluding SWOS?

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #61588 by daimaou
I have been a fan of the whole WE/ISSF/PES saga since the very first PSX WE game, though lately their latest versions are getting worse and worse. And no improvements at all. 1 player modes suck badly and they don t seem to care about improving them. I currently only play PES occasionally with some friends (that don t like swos obviously).

There are 2 more games that marked me back in the old days:
Match Day and Emlyn Hughes International Soccer

Both for ZX Spectrum, really enjoyed them by then. First Match Day (1 and then 2) then when I got Emlyn Hughes that became my favourite game ever. Spent endless hours with it, looked so real at that time :D
It was my favourite soccer game till... Sensi arrived.

PS : Socio please don t tell PES and FIFA have the same grandpa, that would mean they are cousins? They aren t. They are from completely different families :)
FIFA is a lame game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #61589 by daimaou
Let s add some pictures too:

ZX Spectrum : Match Day 1

ZX Spectrum : Match Day 2

ZX Spectrum : Emlyn Hughes International Soccer

They still look great ;D

More
15 years 4 weeks ago #61591 by Retrieving

PS : Socio please don t tell PES and FIFA have the same grandpa, that would mean they are cousins? They aren t. They are from completely different families :)

indeed they are!

the real WE/PES ancestors:

Konami Hyper Soccer (NES/Famicom)

Jikkyou Soccer Perfect Eleven/International Superstar Soccer (Super Famicom/SNES) - I ve played this game probably just as much as Sensible Soccer back then, it was just that much better than the best next thing, EPOCH s J.League Excite Stage.

Jikkyuou Soccer Fighting Eleven/Int l Superstar Soccer Deluxe

More
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #61596 by Redhair
I remember playing Match Day II on C64, it was so f***ing slow ;D
Anyway, it was really not bad and I remember that I was cheering so much when I ve scored such a great header goal hehehe

I ve played Emlyn Hughes too (on Amiga), good graphics and it was not so bad but also not really good. I was never a fan of it cause I didn t like the gameplay. But it was good enough to pass the time till I ve got Player Manager or Kick Off 2.

My very first game on Amiga was Manchester United: The Official Computer Game but it was not good.

Other not so bad soccer games I ve played on Amiga were Manchester United Europe and Striker.

• sensipla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 3 weeks ago - 15 years 3 weeks ago #61653 by sensipla
I have similar football gaming career like Daimaou. My first football game was Match Day and I loved it, we played this a lot with my brother. After trying Emlyn Hughes Iˇve never played Match Day again. I dont remember exactly but I think my first Amiga football was Lotthar Matthaus (=Rettee 2, European Champions and perhaps many other names) and I liked it a lot, its improved Emlyn. I played KickOff on one weekend, I was not able to score. :) Then two Sensible Soccer games (1.1 and 1.2 ? I am not sure) and SWOS. It was my first original game I ever bought and it made me angry a bit, Marek PeMksa in Frankfurt, 7M (they just renamed Tony Yeboah) and Beguiristain in Barca,15 M (renamed Romario) are stains on SWOS reputation :)
Also Man Utd-PLC is very good game, its duplicate of SWOS (and thats why it is good ;)) and its not easy game.
I played first FIFA on Amiga and in my opinion its pure crap.
Super Sidekicks was the only arcade game I ever played and its not bad but its game for one afternoon or weekend.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #61683 by daimaou
Many spectrum games are much better than it s rushed C64 conversions, Match Day and Emlyn Hughes were 2 great examples of that. I didn t find a single football match I like on C64. And yeah Match Day was great for headers especially MD2 :)
Striker was also decent indeed, I played it several times too, mostly on PC. And Lotthar Matthaus too, a nice Emlyn Hughes improvement, problem is that when I got it I already had Sensi so didn t spend much time with it.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #62575 by Synchronated

Marek PeMksa in Frankfurt, 7M (they just renamed Tony Yeboah) and Beguiristain in Barca,15 M (renamed Romario) are stains on SWOS reputation

Penksa and Beguiristain are real players, do you mean they messed up when transferring Yeboah and Romario so that overrated players were left behind?

Oh, and FIFA has absolutely overtaken the only-getting-worse-since-WE6FE PES series by now but both games are relatively rubbish.

Apart from SWOS I guess I ve spent most time with Goal! on the Amiga (the real sequel to KO2).

More
15 years 2 weeks ago - 15 years 2 weeks ago #62705 by Retrieving

WE6FE

That was like what, 7 years ago? Trust me, the most recent iteration of the J-WE franchise is leaps and bounds better than anything currently available on the shelves, next-gen PES and FIFA included.

Along with SFIV it s the only game that prevents me from playing SWOS from time to time and I don t even get to play it with friends or online otherwise it d be addicting.

also: your J.League database is like 3 or 4 years behind and oftentimes doesn t make much sense, btw, get it checked.

• sensipla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 weeks ago #62706 by sensipla

Marek PeMksa in Frankfurt, 7M (they just renamed Tony Yeboah) and Beguiristain in Barca,15 M (renamed Romario) are stains on SWOS reputation

Penksa and Beguiristain are real players, do you mean they messed up when transferring Yeboah and Romario so that overrated players were left behind?

Yes, exactly :-)

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #62796 by daimaou

That was like what, 7 years ago? Trust me, the most recent iteration of the J-WE franchise is leaps and bounds better than anything currently available on the shelves, next-gen PES and FIFA included.

What current iteration is that? And for what system?

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds