SWOS gameplay worse than normal Sensi

• Ethylene
  • Ethylene's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 4 months ago #56417 by Ethylene
SWOS gameplay worse than normal Sensi was created by Ethylene
Hi All.

SWOS would be a great game if the gameplay was the same as earlier Sensible Soccer games. But the gameplay in SWOS is awful.

That s what I thought when I was a kid and it first came out, and it s what I think years later now that I ve got both on my PC.

Do you lot agree? Or is there something I m missing?

What happened to being able to change direction with the ball, cross for a header, players not running so slowly? If only they d made it standard Sensi gameplay with tactics and careers, then it would be the perfect game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #56421 by Oli O.
???

The SWOS gameplay is wonderful and 10 times better than Sensi. Just try some good teams with good skilled players. Don t forget that physics and graphics in PC SWOS are different to Amiga SWOS or old Sensi.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #56510 by Synchronated
The OP is correct, unfortunately. IMO.
I d kill for a SWOS build with v1.2 s gameplay.
SWOS is prone to removing control from the player receiving a pass at inappropriate times, usually when trying to latch onto long passes/crosses and it really limits gameplay options.
Players always come close for long balls and wait for low passes (this is exactly the opposite of what they should do). Old Sensi doesn t have this (IMO colossal) problem (it doesn t take away control of the receiving player at all, so you can move him however you feel necessary).
Because of this control malfunction there are many passes which SWOS players can never receive and which can make for superb, original goals in vanilla Sensi.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #56528 by Playaveli
Hmm, maybe he meant the gameplay of SWOS 1.0 (PC) which is indeed awful.
The ball had very weird physics in that version, plus no curled passing and no high/standing headers.

Do you lot agree? Or is there something I m missing?

Maybe you missed the latest SWOS version which is 96/97 and has totally different physics/gameplay to SWOS 1.0!

Players always come close for long balls and wait for low passes (this is exactly the opposite of what they should do). Old Sensi doesn t have this (IMO colossal) problem (it doesn t take away control of the receiving player at all, so you can move him however you feel necessary).

This happens only with curled low passes. If you just tap tap tap without aftertouching the players come close to the ball and don t wait for it.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #56533 by Synchronated
Yes but the point is you should retain control of the receiving player. You don t.
Since most of my passes and crosses are lobbed shots, it is very disheartening to see the receiving player come towards the ball, miss it (because it s in the air and you don t have control over him) and then chase it from behind, by which point he has already lost the chance to get onto it.
In Sensi you retain control of the receiver. So the player can actually receive high passes and crosses. You can move him into the perfect position and even sell your opponent a dummy. If curled passes were in that game, you could move the receiving player around the ball as required; in SWOS you can t and IMO it results in many, many fewer gameplay opportunities.

Lots of nice things were added in SWOS, but a lot of Sensi fundamentals (such as the way dribbling control worked and actually having control of pass receivers) were abused or just destroyed, and for no good reason.

I seem to remember there was a hacked or beta version of SWOS around which had career mode and front end from the first SWOS game but the gameplay from Sensi v1.2.
I would love to find this again :)

edit: found it!

More
15 years 4 months ago #56549 by Kyon
Yes i already have it. it is Hoodlum or Code Engineers versions :)

More
15 years 4 months ago #56552 by EreWeGo
Interesting - Kyon or Sync - can you post a link to the hacked version? I d be interested in tryng it out to compare it to SWOS 96/97 etc.

:)

More
15 years 4 months ago #56554 by Synchronated
PM sent.

It s interesting; it seems to be a pre-release version with a weird discoloured SWOS front end. In-game it has SWOS graphics but Sensi gameplay and sound.

More
15 years 4 months ago #56555 by daimaou
I would be interested on checking that one as well, I remember hearing about it, but never had it. I think it s available on PlanetEmu, but they have so many versions that I have no idea of which one it would be...

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #56556 by Playaveli

Yes but the point is you should retain control of the receiving player. You don t.
Since most of my passes and crosses are lobbed shots, it is very disheartening to see the receiving player come towards the ball, miss it (because it s in the air and you don t have control over him) and then chase it from behind, by which point he has already lost the chance to get onto it.

That is sort of skill you have to train on.
PC is maybe a bit harder than the Amiga version in this case. Just look at Coolio s youtube goals, he is a master of player activation .
Link: www.youtube.com/user/alen69 (check most recent headers)

And on PC even triple standing headers were done:

Ok, these are all headers but it s the same principle with long balls (lobs). You have to let loose your fire button and controls in the exact right moment to obtain control over the next player. As I mentioned earlier, this is a skill someone has.

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds