Tactics and player attributes

• JonBetts2004
  • JonBetts2004's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 4 months ago #57436 by JonBetts2004
Tactics and player attributes was created by JonBetts2004
Hi all,

Just have a couple of questions regarding tactics and players. The SWOS manual talks about Invisible Computer Points . I know this relates to how good a tactic is in relation to fitting the types of players you have, but how is it calculated? And how do I know which players to buy: what 3 attributes they should have (e.g. finishing, speed, etc) in order to play well?
I thought I could find this information in the manual, but I haven t seen any mention of these things.

Could someone also give me a quick run-through of player attributes and which I should look for? Do players get better over time?

And finally one more unrelated question: is there any way to increase the length of career-mode matches? I guess not, which is a real shame, as they are over so quickly!

Would be good if one of the SWOS gurus put together a little article about all this, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #57437 by Playaveli
Here are the most important skills each position should have:
(Random order)

Defenders:
T H S P

Fullbacks:
S T P

Midfield:
P C T S

Wings:
S P C V

Attack:
S F C H V

And finally one more unrelated question: is there any way to increase the length of career-mode matches?

Not possible!

Use this DATABASE to check all teams in the game and the players skills.

Player skills go from 0-7 and again from 8-15, where 0 equals 8 and 7 equals 15!

The SWOS manual talks about Invisible Computer Points . I know this relates to how good a tactic is in relation to fitting the types of players you have, but how is it calculated?

This has something to do with the tactic itself. Use the tactic editor as much as you can and move players around to get as many green ticks as possible.
More green ticks -- more invisible computer points -- players rise their money-value -- you win more likely with view result .

• JonBetts2004
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #57438 by JonBetts2004
Replied by JonBetts2004 on topic Re: Tactics and player attributes
Thanks very much for your very fast response :)

How come Defenders and Attackers need Heading? Surely nobody needs Heading, as it never seems to be used much? I take it the attributes that you told me are the ones needed so that the player values can increase as quickly as possible?

Player skills go from 0-7 and again from 8-15, where 0 equals 8 and 7 equals 15!

Why is this? Why is it not just 0 - 7 for each attribute/player?

If I had 2 players, both with 15 F, 15 S and 15 V , but one of them had 3 P, 3 H and 3 T, and the other had 0 P, 0 H, 0 T, which player would be better?

Thanks again in advance! ;D

EDIT: Also, one question about controlling the game: I am currently using a keyboard, but seem to find it difficult, because sometimes I hold 3 directional keys at once, and the player stops moving completely, meaning I have to re-press the keys! So I am thinking about getting a gamepad or joystick. What would be best? Getting a new USB gamepad that will plug and play right away? Or getting an old school joystick with USB convertor, such as a Quickshot 2 like I used to have on the Amiga? I really don t know which would be easier to control the players with.

More
15 years 4 months ago #57439 by daimaou

How come Defenders and Attackers need Heading? Surely nobody needs Heading, as it never seems to be used much?

eheh this is so not true, but it really depends on your gamestyle. I think you need to see some heading masters playing :)

It has to do with wages on carreer mode if I remember right. Salaries for players with 15 will be higher.

EDIT: Also, one question about controlling the game: I am currently using a keyboard, but seem to find it difficult, because sometimes I hold 3 directional keys at once, and the player stops moving completely, meaning I have to re-press the keys! So I am thinking about getting a gamepad or joystick. What would be best? Getting a new USB gamepad that will plug and play right away? Or getting an old school joystick with USB convertor, such as a Quickshot 2 like I used to have on the Amiga? I really don t know which would be easier to control the players with.

Those keyboard problems happen with most old keyboards, if you get a recent one you have very good chances of not having this problem. USB or amiga just get a controller you are confortable with and you ll be fine, if you are used to Quickshot2 go for it. It s hard to suggest controllers really, some prefer keyboard, some gamepads others joysticks, etc.

• JonBetts2004
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 4 months ago #57446 by JonBetts2004
Thanks for the response, much appreciated. Would be good if someone else could confirm the theory about the 0-7 and 8-15 values for attributes.

Also, my Quickshot 2 and a different old amiga gamepad that I have, are 9 pin, and on eBay all I can find are 15 pin USB converters :(

More
15 years 4 months ago #57449 by Oli O.
Then you ll also need a 9pin/15pin adapter. ;D

More
15 years 4 months ago #57464 by daimaou
You can find a direct Amiga-USB converter, it s called stelladaptor and you can buy it from AtariAge, it s a bit expensive though. But sometimes you can find some cheaper ones on ebay. Or you can say like Oli O. and simply buy a 9pin/15pin adapter and then use it as a combo with one of those converters.
Or... if you have a parallel port simply buy a converter for it, those are much cheaper.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #57466 by Synchronated
Couple of clarifications :)

Do players get better over time?

No. Not even if their value goes up. Nor will they get worse.

If I had 2 players, both with 15 F, 15 S and 15 V , but one of them had 3 P, 3 H and 3 T, and the other had 0 P, 0 H, 0 T, which player would be better?

Something to do with wage calculations. Possibly. No-one seems to really know.
It s entirely possible that a 15 is actually treated no differently at all than a 7 by the game and that 8-15 are remnants of a different rating system that didn t make it.

Clarification of the skills (this is how the skills translate to on-field ability and how they contribute to a player s market value)

0=8 (WORST)
1=9
2=10
3=11
4=12
5=13
6=14
7=15 (BEST)

So of course 3s are better than 0s. But also better than 10, 9 or 8.

• JonBetts2004
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 4 months ago #57504 by JonBetts2004
Thanks very much for your responses guys. Interestingly, I had a quick play on SWOS at work at lunchtime today, and my laptop keypad was very good to use! Very responsive and the keys dont get stuck like on my desktop PC at home. Although I might have to get these converters/adapters, just so I can feel the Quickshot 2 in my hands once again!

More
15 years 4 months ago #57505 by Wänä81
With joystick you get the real retro-feeling ;D Great

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds