Re: promoting swos online

More
14 years 1 month ago #80821 by ruichi
promoting swos online was created by ruichi
As you all know, we all can see no of players decreasing every month. It s been like that for last year or two. I suggest we should promote swos/ss.de harder than usual and try to bring more fresh blood to our community. No doubt (I m not being smart or anything) polish community is the biggest, we have few new players every month or two. Some stay, some not, but it s nothing unusual to see new faces on #sensible.pl. How we do it? We spam football and games sites, using demots, community things (facebook like) and spam forums and other sites we find related in any way to swos or old games .
If you have ideas how to promote swos even better and get more people to play swos, please share it here.

I d love to see more different leagues with more players playing here...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #80929 by Retrieving
At the risk of sounding like a broken record...the terrible netcode and the inherent user-unfriendliness of the WinUAE/Kaillera combo are holding the game back, in my opinion.

As of now only the most haijin, die-hard fans among the potential SWOS playerbase are willing to put up with so much shit (disconnections, desynchs and the whole ultra-convoluted process of setting up a game) and I ve had plenty of friends who were absolutely crazy about Sensible Soccer back in the 90 s giving up on SWOS Online because they could not make the emulator work properly (compatibility issues, frame rate problems, the game freezes, there s no sound, controllers won t work and so forth, you know the deal).

And then there s lag. Sure you can get accustomed to it, however it s still going to edulcorate the gameplay in a way or another, oftentimes to the point where it doesn t feel like playing SWOS anymore.

Tell you what, I ve been playing a lot of Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike on 2DF/Starcade as of late and it s such a relaxing experience in comparison; you boot up the emulator which pops up as a tiny browser-like window with integrated chat, click twice on a name on the list and if the opponent accepts the Challenge message bam, the game starts and you re playing within seconds from logging in. After the match the replay will be up on the website (anybody can watch it anytime) and the results/data/statistics will be automatically submitted.

How friggin cool is that (2DF is totally free and was coded by just 1 person btw)?

Furthermore the netcode was specifically designed to allow people to play over long distances with minimal input delay/lag (case in point, CAPCOM just bought the rights to implement the netcode into their PSN/XBLA retro-games such as the upcoming Final Fight and in the future iterations of the Street Fighter franchise, yet no one would believe me when I was advocating the use of this on the forums like a year ago...), so you can play with people in the US orJapan without issues of sort (as opposed to SWOS where most of the times you re getting awful lag even with people from your own country) almost as if you were playing offline.

I tried to convince the people behind this stuff (mainly damdai, 2DF/Starcade creator) to add SWOS to their games library (PM ed/email ed em, posted on their forums about SWOS to raise awareness, pointed them to the ss.de website etc.) but couldn t do much in the end because after all I m just a very passionate fan who cannot, in any way, shape or form speak on the SWOS community behalf, however if the SWOS United representatives (talking about the alleged company , not the forums) get serious about this and contact them explaining that there s thousands of people actively playing the game day-in, day-out, some of which might also be fine with paying a couple Euros for a better overall experience, odds are that this could be done.

For those who re interested here s a few screenshots of the old 2DF web-based interface (there s plenty of videos on YouTube as well):

The aforementioned Challenge pop-up:

GGPO GUI (same deal, slightly different netcode):

playing 3s on GGPO with an american dude: 0 lag

tl;dr: we need to wake up and get with the times if we want to appeal a wider audience

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #81036 by Retrieving
see ruichi...no one gives a damn lol, kinda sad though cause with 1/5 of the money people collectively paid to go to the SensiDays last year we could prolly get the online revamped.

I guess the majority of people would rather see the movement s(hr)ink into forgetfulness due to the aforementioned reasons (obsolescence of the netcode/middleware, etc., I think we re still relying on stuff which dates back to 2003...) than change. Fair enough.

That being said I ll most likely keep playing SWOS forever regardless anyway hehe...taking the online competition seriously is just kinda difficult given the circumstances though.

More
14 years 1 month ago #81056 by Playaveli
Replied by Playaveli on topic Re: promoting swos online
Just ask the guy in charge how much it would cost...

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #81062 by Retrieving
I ll try to contact damdai again then, he s just updated 2DF with an even more refined interface and I ve heard he s looking for donations to keep the site running, so it might be a good moment to ask.

More
14 years 1 month ago #81064 by Bomb
Replied by Bomb on topic Re: promoting swos online
would be too nice to play vs asian or american swos players without delay...

@retrieving: I see 2 numbers on the pics: 165 and 190. this means the number of players for the chosen game, or are these all visitors on the website?

and I see some high pings also. this is not influencing your reaction?

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #81106 by Retrieving
@Bomb

that s the number of players that were either playing or chilling in those particular rooms (SSFIIT and 3rd Strike) at the time.

There s like thousands of people on GGPO/2DF/Starcade at any given time since each site supports hundreds of games, mostly beat em up s and shoot em up s from the bitmap graphics golden age such as Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Metal Slug, 1942 and so forth.

due to the brilliant netcode playing over long distances isn t as bad as with Kaillera. I can play just fine with japanese and americans (think of a 2~ frames delay match in our current SWOS) and the game feels just like the offline counterpart while playing with europeans.

Ejder-z would love this stuff hehe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zafer

More
14 years 1 month ago #81108 by Playaveli
Hm, it seems there are only games running from arcade machines. But SWOS needs an Amiga emulator... I really wonder if that works with GGPO/2DF...
Please ask the guy(s) in charge if it s technically possible AT ALL!

Cheers, Retri!

More
14 years 1 month ago #81115 by Retrieving
the emulator also runs Megadrive/Genesis games, so technically it s possible...they just need to write Amiga drivers for it.

Anyway, damdai gave me the contact of the guy who wrote the emulator and I ll be mailing him over the weekend. Stay tuned.

More
14 years 1 month ago #81117 by Playaveli

the emulator also runs Megadrive/Genesis games, so technically it s possible...they just need to write Amiga drivers for it.

Anyway, damdai gave me the contact of the guy who wrote the emulator and I ll be mailing him over the weekend. Stay tuned.

Thanks.
But you used the word just above... that s the part I am really worried about. I somehow doubt it is that easy to write a driver for Amiga emu.
Fingers crossed!!!

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds