Re: Sensible Soccer 2006, your opinion!

More
17 years 9 months ago #10431 by tomocb
Without sounding defensive, I d welcome anyone who is critical of the new release to give at least one reason why. Rathern than just saying that it s not sensible soccer! Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #10471 by guru
I m a very big fan of the old SS.
This is not at the same level at all. It a mediocre game. The reasons?

1- bad tactics menu. Why did they change it? It worked perfectly. In the old version, you can select the tactic you want, instead of clicking a lot of times to get the one you want.
2- no career... wow, if amiga had career 10 years ago, now we should have something more....this is a big a step behind.
3- Player names... I don t know the reasons, but that s veery bad. Waiting for a patch.
4- gameplay: almost at the same level of the old one except that it s too easy. I played my first game against Brazil, friendly, I had three red cards and I won 3-1. This is just impossible.
5- bad bad bad animation. Look the old SS tackles and look at the new ones.
6- When you shoot on the goal, too often the ball snaps into the goalkeeper s hands, even if it was 3 meters far in the frame immediately before.
7- cards: I prefer to know the color of the card after the referee comes in, like in the old one. This gave more tension...just think at the referee searching for the card in his pocket...
8- replays. Sometimes I just don t want to see them, but i m forced to do it.

In a word: BAD. I wish i didn t buy it.

More
17 years 9 months ago #10487 by tomocb
1- The tactics function was extremely similar in the original version.
2- There was no career mode in the original SS!
3- The only player football game on the market that has proper names is FIFA!
4- You play SS too much, but not enough with the custom and lower league teams!
5- The animation has been noted by critics as it s second strongest point after gameplay.
6- The goalkeeper s flaws are more visible in this version and this is something that definitely does need sorting.
7- Rooney wouldn t agree.
8- Press the shoot button to skip cut scenes and replays.

Ball s back in your half.

More
17 years 9 months ago #10503 by guru
:(

1 and 2- if the most recent versions of SS were so successful it was for the improvements they had, compared to the first. So, why go back now? So they can improve again? It s nonsense to me. I would keep the good things and maybe add something else, after ten years of experience.
3 - I remember the correct names also in the old SS.
4 - You can never play too much the old SS. And I played every kind of league, national, club and custom teams.
5 - I don t give a s.. about the critics. I work in animation as professional, and personally I think the animation is bad.
6 - hey, we agree! :)
7 - Rooney? What is it? ;)
8 - Sorry, I meant fouls replays, not goals replays.

bye

;D ;D ;D

More
17 years 9 months ago #10522 by tomocb
The best example I can give is my website which I ve been running for 8 years. It looks and works a lot better now than it did when it was created. It s good enough for someone to try and illegally copy it also. But my point is that if I created a new site in a similar style, I can gurantee you that it would not be as good at first.

Even if you have more experience of doing something, and I can understand your point about the animation, but you will know very well that you can t just splice the best bits of a game together. It just doesn t work like that.

The most important thing to remeber is that if you had a budget to the amount that Codemasters had, you would not gamble it on something you were not sure would be popular, just because there is a real hard core fan base out there. The games market is far more competitive than it was 10 years ago!

1. This version should only be compared to the last installment of Sensible Soccer and not SWOS.
2. Ditto.
3. The license laws have changed since then on the use of names. I remember many footy games using the correct names years ago.
4. I find the SS quite a strugle with one of the lower league teams and especially a customer team.
5. I don t think you d argue that it s not smooth. What don t you like about it?
6. This can only be down to the rush to get it out in time for the World Cup.
7. If Wayne Rooney had seen the card first, he probably wouldn t have been so stupid to push C.Ronaldo
8. I m using the PS2 version and It allows you to skip all replays. In fact, from all I ve read on this forum, the PS2 sounds a surperior version, although I maybe wrong.

• Stinky9
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago #10865 by Stinky9
Replied by Stinky9 on topic Re: Sensible Soccer 2006, your opinion!
Satisfied. Played the demo until it was worn out! ;D So I bought the game today for 26 Euro s. Nice price! This 2006 version gives me the same feeling as SWOS on the Amiga and PC. Damn fun game! Still loving it after all these years!

More
17 years 9 months ago #10867 by tommyboo
Hey Stinky, welcome aboard!
I m glad to hear that you re enjoying the game. :) If you re playing it on PC, you might want to try some of the mods, that make the game even a little bit better, in my opinion.

Check them out, I ve got a little website where I ve tried to gather the best mods.
users.utu.fi/tlvais/sensi - Sensible Mods

• Stinky9
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago #10910 by Stinky9
Replied by Stinky9 on topic Re: Sensible Soccer 2006, your opinion!
Thx m8! Oh... And thx for the link! :)

• Crystal_Sword
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago #10954 by Crystal_Sword
Replied by Crystal_Sword on topic Re: Sensible Soccer 2006, your opinion!
im satisfied.

But I think it could have been better... Much Better.

They should have added Features that FIFA and PES dont.

Little things to make a great atmosphere. Flares going on in Background.

Flags in Stadium, And some noise atleast. Chants.

at this level, if SWOS is released, it would be better, only bad thing could be graphics.

Little things could have improved it so much.

Even the Player Ratings, of how good they are, you can barley see the stars.

Maybe edit your own Formation?

no Career mode?

not so bothered about commentry, but seriously, there is little to no atmosphere in the game

• hoyas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 8 months ago #11053 by hoyas
Replied by hoyas on topic Re: Sensible Soccer 2006, your opinion!
It is indeed a fun game, specially on MP.
Hopefully it will be updated, and next SS2006 Special Edition will feature a better Team Editor, Tactics Editor, all the SWOS fun.
I hope thought they also put better support for the controllers and for those unfortunate to be joystick owners at least give them two player keyboard system that works. Sometimes even single keyboard player won t allow to run diagonally and kick.

But so far, it is very enjoyable experience, albeit crazy teleporting goalies :) and some weird rebounds and magnetic gloves...

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds