Re: Sensible Soccer 2006, your opinion!

• plib
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #92884 by plib
Replied by plib on topic Re: Sensible Soccer 2006, your opinion!

Like standalone game it can be fun on short distance ( lacking carrier mode),but comparison with its famous and Glorius SWOS anccestor no doubt.....

I also am one of those who prefer Sensi 2006 over SWOS - especially with the Megapatch mods and the resulting tweaks to perspective, AI, and overall atmosphere - at least in my opinion playability of Sensi 2006 is a lot better - especially with a left-hand play gamepad

I used to play SWOS on by P133 with the classic Gravis gamepad, where you could screw in a pin and switch it to right-hand steering mode - especially against tough opponents that would give you an edge - on my current machine I can only play SWOS via DOSBox with a dual analogue pad - this means steering with my left hand, which does put myself as someone who is right-handed at a significant disadvantage when playing a game like SWOS where fast reaction is so important

I liked Sensi 2006 when I bought it but with the Megapatch updates I utterly love it - I do not really miss the manager mode because I have a job and quite simply not enough time to play that often - that is also why am incredibly grateful to those who unlocked all the extras in the more recent Megapatch mods...

As far as Fifa and PES are concerned, I never really warmed to PES and with FIFA the only part I liked was 2001 - Sensi perspective selectable! - the first footy game since SWOS that I actually played voluntarily! The only thing I did not like about Fifa 2001 was that gameplay mostly was about banging on the jostle other player away from the ball button ... Once I had Sensi 2006 Fifa 2001 got thrown off my hard disk - but it still was a useful brige gap and alternative...

FIFA 2010 I was not impressed with - it would have been nice to be able to delete all(!) button settings but button 9 (?) was locked to the Esc button function so when you put a different function on that button via setup the game did just ignore you and did not tell you and just stayed at Esc mode (nasty surprise during a match)... (I have the dual analog pad from Thrustmaster/Guillemot - I like to have all my fingers already on the crucial buttons - which is why I predominantly use those 4 at the front (plus the two at the bottom) and not those on the right)

Apart from that, Sensi 2006 already had the 360° mode for which Fifa had to wait until the 2010 instalment... I definitely prefer Sensi 2006 plus Megapatch over FIFA or PES. SWOS was great but ever since I got Sensi 2006 plus Megapatch I stopped playing it. Overall gameplay - in my opinion - is better - passing is more accurate and and you can do with 3 buttons for which FIFA needs around 6-10.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #92919 by Retrieving

I used to play SWOS on by P133 with the classic Gravis gamepad, where you could screw in a pin and switch it to right-hand steering mode - especially against tough opponents that would give you an edge - on my current machine I can only play SWOS via DOSBox with a dual analogue pad - this means steering with my left hand, which does put myself as someone who is right-handed at a significant disadvantage when playing a game like SWOS where fast reaction is so important

You know, you could still be playing SWOS (on both PC and Amiga) with your Gravis pad (plenty of people still use it on sensiblesoccer.de, Playaveli and mt653 come to mind) or any other controller for that matter (oldschool joysticks, Arcade Sticks, Keypads, etc.), all you need is a proper adapter.

Also, you should give next-gen FIFA s (PS3/Xbox 360) a try, I didn t particularly like FIFA 11 (way too much CPU aid esque interferences on the pitch), FIFA WC 2010 however was a pretty solid game of football (SWOS 96/ 97 is still light-years ahead gameplay-wise though).

• plib
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #92980 by plib
Thanks for the answer and suggestion - what kind of adapters did you have in mind?

I have so far avoided consoles like the plague, mostly due to said left-hand-steering problem and I do not really like pads without pins - the dual analog pads are a compromise that I can live with but I so far have not seen any console gamepads that I actually like - decent third-party manufacturer ones would be nice

It would be nice if one could use the right analog stick plus the buttons on the front and bottom of a gamepad - o.k. it would limit the available buttons to six in the case of the one I have but that would be something I could live with

In the days before(!) the classic Gravis gamepad I even used to have a gamecard that allowed one to connect Amiga(!) joysticks - e.g. the good old Compi Pro - but I have to admit that it was rather makeshift and calibration did not always work properly and of course you only had one button - apart from that the Compis broke pretty quickly - the good old Gravis gamepad plus (short) screw (after the pin broke off) were incredibly sturdy - I bought two at the time and both still work (despite years(!) of Sensible Soccer and SWOS abuse)... I would love to have them as USB versions... Are there any USB adapters for gameport pads? (a few years ago my dual gameport game card broke and I could not be bothered with getting a gameport y-cable (do they still exist?)

I also found that when I was hopeless at playing SWOS it would help considerably to play a few rounds of Sensible Soccer 1.2/1.3 - o.k. especially the sound was of rather questionable quality but the speed was very high and after a few matches SWOS felt like a sleeping pill by comparison.

The menue stuff in FIFA 2010 is enough to drive you crackers - it already drove me mad that one was supposed to select a club and then be forced to a kind of dummy career/manager mode - should any FIFA designer read this by chance (I doubt it though): please also allow simple friendlies (without the hassle of one having to navigate one s way around overly complex and overladen menues) and if you have to add a career mode it should also be possible to properly link the game with your manager games so that you can properly look after your squad, train the useless slobs, and then play the matches of your team yourself.

(On the other hand I can still (or rather could if I wanted to...) play FIFA 2010 on my AthlonXP 2800 (Barton core, 2000 MHz) plus Radeon 4650 and Soundblaster XFi... Speed is fine, even with substantial graphics detail... (Half Life 2 and Bioshock also work beautifully...))

I read that FIFA World Cup 2010 was good but - as far as I know - it was not released for the PC

How good are the gamepads of the PS3 and XBox 360? Are they worth a gamble?

Some year s ago Ascaron had a soccer game (called Anstoß Action in Germany) that could be linked with their manager game (Anstoß 3 (apparently both titles were also available in English as One the Ball 3 and On the Ball Action) - unfortunately playability of their soccer game was rubbish (may have another look at it if I still find it in my pile of originals at my parents place...) that way the potential of a great idea was waisted... the lead designer for the Anstoß manager series, Gerald Köhler, then switched to EA and now is in charge of their FIFA football manager games - I really would love to see a FIFA Soccer connected to their manager game... as far as I remember, in FIFA the concept was apparently limited to the ability of plaing FIFA with teams one had bred and fostered in FIFA manager and then imported into FIFA Soccer - just to stress, with these two Anstoß / On the Ball titles it was possible to install them in coop mode and really seamlessly play yourself matches of your team managed and coached in Anstoß3. I vaguely remember the hype at the time about Player Manager on the Amiga - Kick Off 2 plus a manager part - but Anstoß3 plus Anstoß Action seems to be the only games where the promises actually were kept - if only Anstoß Action had been better...

As much as I liked the manager mode in SWOS, I always missed proper training options - e.g. have players train and improve their skills... training matches were not enough in my opinion...

More
13 years 5 months ago #92996 by Playaveli
Amiga joystick -- USB adapters:
atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail p=267
www.raphnet-tech.com/products/atari2usb/...hp?category=Adapters

PC gameport joystick -- USB adapters:
cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem item=160350775708

Ich sehe du bist deutsch. Wir spielen Amiga SWOS online. Hast du Lust?

• plib
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #93029 by plib

Amiga joystick -- USB adapters:
atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail p=267
www.raphnet-tech.com/products/atari2usb/...hp?category=Adapters

PC gameport joystick -- USB adapters:
cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem item=160350775708

Ich sehe du bist deutsch. Wir spielen Amiga SWOS online. Hast du Lust?

Hi,

reply plus a few questions sent to your email account...

Your sort of official motto (see top right corner ) - it should not be They think it s all over - it is now - after all you are keeping an old classic alive - therefore you should alter your motto to something like They think it s all over - is it bloody well heck! (Sie glauben, es sei vorbei - ist es aber verdammt nochmal längst nicht!)

Cheers

More
13 years 5 months ago #93250 by EreWeGo

I liked Sensi 2006 when I bought it but with the Megapatch updates I utterly love it - I do not really miss the manager mode because I have a job and quite simply not enough time to play that often - that is also why am incredibly grateful to those who unlocked all the extras in the more recent Megapatch mods...

Hi plib,

nice to hear from someone who enjoyed the MegaPatch and the work from all the modders! :)
The main reason we created the mods was to try and fix what was essentially a fun, but flawed release from Codemasters, and I too think the MegaPatch and mods help make it a fun, enjoyable game of arcade football.

SWOS is still a masterpiece of course, but I also still play Sensible Soccer, and Sensible Soccer 2006 for a quick fix of Sensi fun! Hope you find an adapter so you can try out SWOS again with your favourite controller.
:)

• PeterSP72
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 5 months ago #93252 by PeterSP72
Replied by PeterSP72 on topic Re: Sensible Soccer 2006, your opinion!
As far as adapters go, you can make your own one too. In case you want the documents concerning this matter just send me a PM.

Greetings,

Pspin

• plib
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #93596 by plib
Hi EreWeGo,

Fixed it is quite an understatement - the original perspective for a start more or less makes you go seasick - the original AI seemed to have a rather extreme random generator for the teams form of/on the day (it could play from local pub division level up to near unbeatable ferociously world class level - I remember something similar in SWOS although the effect was considerably less pronounced there and it was one of the things I loved about SWOS because it showed love for little details) - in basic setup though the original AI was fairly weak

That is why I would like to pester you with a request for a possible Mega Patch 4.5 - kindly re-include the original AI - that way people can see and gasp with awe at what you lot have really accomplished (another thing I would be grateful for would be an inclusion the Sensi 2006 version of Moon Soccer just for a laugh...)

I do hope the ladies and gentlemen at Codemasters have not buried Sensi completely (o.k, let s forget about the XBox 360 version SWOS disaster for a moment...) - like Sensi 1.0 at the time Sensi 2006 was a good starting point and re-interpretation that offered quite a lot of potential for improvement and successors - one thing though, it would be nice to have replays and match intros in the match graphics... the cut-scene stuff in Sensi 2006 was as superfluous as it was awful - even the replays are a drag - they should also have been in the match graphics... o.k. I am not the first to have remarked upon this...)

(one thing I never understood about Sensi 2006: the images on the back of the box only showed what was weak about Sensi 2006 and not(!) what was good - one of the oddest pieces of marketing (or rather anti-marketing) I have ever seen...)

(another thing - I think I read somewhere that the Kick Off for Sensi 2006 perspective allows for replays in the actual match graphics - would it be possible to implement that in the other perspectives as well?)

Hi PeterSP72,

Thanks for your offer - although should it require brazing and soldering to make these adapters I am not sure I would be good enough to make them myself... for a start I do not even have a soldering iron...

More
13 years 4 months ago #93999 by MIJB#19
I tried Sensi 2006 two more times after buying a gamepad, but I m still turned of by it.
I m back into SWOS96/97 with close to zero chance I ll give Sensi 2006 a fourth shot.

Since I bought Sensi 2006 for just a couple of Euro, I don t mind too much, really...

More
13 years 4 months ago #94039 by EreWeGo

...That is why I would like to pester you with a request for a possible Mega Patch 4.5 - kindly re-include the original AI - that way people can see and gasp with awe at what you lot have really accomplished (another thing I would be grateful for would be an inclusion the Sensi 2006 version of Moon Soccer just for a laugh...)

...(another thing - I think I read somewhere that the Kick Off for Sensi 2006 perspective allows for replays in the actual match graphics - would it be possible to implement that in the other perspectives as well?)

Hey plib, when I get some time, (I have NO idea when that ll be though!), I will get around to releasing another MegaPatch, so will have a look at including the original AI etc. I ll see if I can add the Moonsoccer mod I made too - I think I still have the mod files somewhere :)

As far as the KickOff views - what happens in the replays is that it doesn t change to other angles, but shows the replay in the exact same view as what you re playing. You still get the cutscenes, unless you use the No Cutscenes mod I made. You can download the No Cutscenes mod from the Sensible Mods site:
users.utu.fi/tlvais/sensi/misc/no_cutscene.zip
The other camera views could definitely be changed so that they stay in that view for the replays, so might look at that too.

Anyway, cheers for the comments mate.

@ MIJB#19 - fair enough mate, it s definitely not SWOS, but have you tried the game with the mods and/or the MegaPatch? It really does improve it, although if you re comparing it to SWOS it ll never measure up.

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds