Suggestions for the Website

More
18 years 10 months ago - 18 years 3 weeks ago #2490 by Incendio
Hi!

First of all - not that you get me wrong - I have to say that the Sensiblesoccer.de Website is great! And even if I can hardly imagine how much effort this website is, there are always ways to make a great thing even a little bit greater. I will give some suggestions on how I would improve the website (if I had the time and the programming skills). Maybe not all of you will support my suggestions, but maybe some of you will say hey, that is exactly what I was thinking of, too . So here are my suggestions:

1) If I want to look over the OOO Rankings or challenge lists, it always takes quite a long time to load. I don t think this is because of a slow server or something, but actually the HTML file of the SEGA OOO Rankings itself is about 180k - without all the images. Maybe you could offer a light version with the same contents, where you leave formatting options like class=ranking2 align=middle width=50 bgColor=#373755 away, because the most disk space is actually eaten by such lines. You could give an option in the user profile if one wants to see the - really nice looking! - full page or the light version which would load faster.

2) When I put the result of an OOO match before my opponent did, the data is subitted and the website loads new without any change. It would be nice to have a short notice like 6-3 received or error - your opponent submitted 5-3 in order to know what is going on, because sometimes it takes a while until a result is accepted.

3) About the statistics: In the enter result(s) section, I can review my last results. I would like to see those of the other players in their profile. Further, I don t find the separate home/away statistics very useful. Instead, I would like to see something like most SRN points won/lost in one game or best player won against or worst player lost against . I think this would be more interesting than a 16-1 win of a top ten player on a newbie.

Again - my suggestions do not mean that I do not like the website!

Best regards,
buehrenm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #2491 by swoozh
I think it s a good idea to have a topic like this. I have also a few suggestion and ideas for the website, gonna post it here when I have more time for it. I have already e-mailed to Redhair, but I think it s better to discuss some points here :)

More
18 years 10 months ago #2492 by Playaveli
Hey man! I love your points 2. and 3. !!!! These are great inspirations...

I will talk to Redhair about it! :)

More
18 years 10 months ago #2496 by Redhair

Hi!

First of all - not that you get me wrong - I have to say that the Sensiblesoccer.de Website is great! And even if I can hardly imagine how much effort this website is, there are always ways to make a great thing even a little bit greater. I will give some suggestions on how I would improve the website (if I had the time and the programming skills). Maybe not all of you will support my suggestions, but maybe some of you will say hey, that is exactly what I was thinking of, too . So here are my suggestions:

1) If I want to look over the OOO Rankings or challenge lists, it always takes quite a long time to load. I don t think this is because of a slow server or something, but actually the HTML file of the SEGA OOO Rankings itself is about 180k - without all the images. Maybe you could offer a light version with the same contents, where you leave formatting options like class=ranking2 align=middle width=50 bgColor=#373755 away, because the most disk space is actually eaten by such lines. You could give an option in the user profile if one wants to see the - really nice looking! - full page or the light version which would load faster.

Yes, you re right, it tooks too long. Here we have to build another possibility to challenge opponents. The HTML file is so big because there are too much people in this list, that s the main problem. I don t think, that a light version would help much now, a cut of the list to pages would be better next time ..

2) When I put the result of an OOO match before my opponent did, the data is subitted and the website loads new without any change. It would be nice to have a short notice like 6-3 received or error - your opponent submitted 5-3 in order to know what is going on, because sometimes it takes a while until a result is accepted.

Yes, thanks for this really good idea! We will build in this feature soon ..

3) About the statistics: In the enter result(s) section, I can review my last results. I would like to see those of the other players in their profile. Further, I don t find the separate home/away statistics very useful. Instead, I would like to see something like most SRN points won/lost in one game or best player won against or worst player lost against . I think this would be more interesting than a 16-1 win of a top ten player on a newbie.

Again - my suggestions do not mean that I do not like the website!

Best regards,
buehrenm

Thanks, also good ideas! Next time we will move the site to another server, then we will work on the site ..

More
18 years 10 months ago #2500 by Synk
Yes very cool 8) Just growing and growing!
I think it also would be nice to have a little comment area in the news! And maybe it should be created a little News Team that would dedicate some of their time to post the BIGGEST news in sensible and football scene!
It would be nice to have the community allways informed ;D

More
18 years 10 months ago #2503 by Redhair
Also good ideas .. Who would like to be in this News Team ? You need to have enough time and you have to be a SWOS freak!

More
18 years 10 months ago #2505 by swoozh
Suggestions on the whole website:
* The website standard English and a cookie with the information which languages the visitor has chosen.
Also an idea: Automatic choose the language for the visitor. Lookup the IP and then the hostname. If it ends on .de, german language :)

* More languages: Dutch (i want to translate it), Polish (i m sure there is anyone out there who want to translate it), Portugese etc.

* Message system also for English section of the website!

Suggestions on the Frontpage:
* 5 newest topics on forum. Also a link to the forum to sign up

Newssection:
* Newssubmits; If someone finds a newsitem, he can submit it. The administrators or the news-team can read it, could modify it (if it s needed) and then place it on the website.

* comments on the news. Let people react on the news subjects

Community - All Members:
* Not one big list, but 20(or 50) persons on a page with links Next page - and - Previous Page .

Community - Search:
* Searching for people in your country, place and stuff. Also a result with 20 people on a page and a links to the next-page and previous page.

Events- Organize:
* Maybe an option to create an tournament and submit it, but it s not visible/active yet. An admin can place it on the website. So the user fill in the information, this costs less time the normal way ;)
* Other font ? It s different then the other pages :P

The Game - Opinions:
* 20 opinions per page instead of whole list

The Game - F.A.Q:
* Links to forum topics (because those can be updated easily)

The Game - Joysticks:
* Overviews with most used joystick. Maybe links to online shops where people can buy joysticks/gamepads. Maybe you could earn a little money with it ;)

Network - SWOS Links:
* Add your own link. An admin can place it on the website later. Also 20 links on a page..

Profiles:
* On the profile also at Systems/Statistics the ranking (and that number is linked to the ranking)
* On the profile also a list of organized tournaments (only if the user did that)

* On Personal AMIGA online Statistic a link back to the user his profile. And a link to the ranking.
* Maybe a short overview with the latest 5 matches. And a possibility to see more..
* A short overview of the tournaments he have played

* The three sentences above also for Personal Sega online Statistic

Online - Amiga OOO / Sega OOO:
* 50 players on a page, not the whole list. Loading time is too long.
* Search members to challenge
* Put a name or number to challenge someone
* List of challenged people

More
18 years 10 months ago #2507 by Redhair

Suggestions on the whole website:
* The website standard English and a cookie with the information which languages the visitor has chosen.
Also an idea: Automatic choose the language for the visitor. Lookup the IP and then the hostname. If it ends on .de, german language :)

* More languages: Dutch (i want to translate it), Polish (i m sure there is anyone out there who want to translate it), Portugese etc.

* Message system also for English section of the website!

Wow, very cool, thank you swoozh for this great posting! Sure, the ideas are good. Every version of ss.de should be in other language but 100% the same content. If we add more versions, it would make much work for now and in future. Also I want to control the other versions but I cannot, because I cannot understand the new language. So we need more freaks, who speak the language and english or german, who I can trust, who are very active in scene and who will have much time to keep this new versions up-to-date. This is not easy and we need not only one freak for each version. Maybe some people are interested to help us.

Message System will come also in english! Should be no problem next time ..

Suggestions on the Frontpage:
* 5 newest topics on forum. Also a link to the forum to sign up

Newssection:
* Newssubmits; If someone finds a newsitem, he can submit it. The administrators or the news-team can read it, could modify it (if it s needed) and then place it on the website.

* comments on the news. Let people react on the news subjects

For now it s not possible. But like I said, we move to a new server and then it will be no problem! Will come ..

Community - All Members:
* Not one big list, but 20(or 50) persons on a page with links Next page - and - Previous Page .

Community - Search:
* Searching for people in your country, place and stuff. Also a result with 20 people on a page and a links to the next-page and previous page.

Yes, right, like I said, it will be cutten in pieces. Also a searching feature will help to surf faster through the site.

Events- Organize:
* Maybe an option to create an tournament and submit it, but it s not visible/active yet. An admin can place it on the website. So the user fill in the information, this costs less time the normal way ;)
* Other font ? It s different then the other pages :P

For now, please write a mail to me or El Micha for a tournament. This section will be under construction soon ..

The Game - Opinions:
* 20 opinions per page instead of whole list

The same as with member section .. Will come ..

The Game - F.A.Q:
* Links to forum topics (because those can be updated easily)

Right, will come too .. Also we make a new big F. A. Q.

The Game - Joysticks:
* Overviews with most used joystick. Maybe links to online shops where people can buy joysticks/gamepads. Maybe you could earn a little money with it ;)

Yes, this section was a good idea of me, but I need to realize it :-) Will come in future, this should be a very interesting section! Would be cool, if some people will send me some informations and photos about their controllers!

Network - SWOS Links:
* Add your own link. An admin can place it on the website later. Also 20 links on a page..

I need to rebuild the Link-Section, but I don t want to build-in the Add your own link feature, because people can post their favorite URL s in this forum. I want to build this section only with surf hints from our team. But for SWOS sites, who want more visitors, the WebRing should be the right choice. I think the Ring was and is still a cool idea.

Profiles:
* On the profile also at Systems/Statistics the ranking (and that number is linked to the ranking)
* On the profile also a list of organized tournaments (only if the user did that)

* On Personal AMIGA online Statistic a link back to the user his profile. And a link to the ranking.
* Maybe a short overview with the latest 5 matches. And a possibility to see more..
* A short overview of the tournaments he have played

* The three sentences above also for Personal Sega online Statistic

Yes, sure, the stats are still not finished in perfection, thanks for ideas and critics, we will work on this!

Online - Amiga OOO / Sega OOO:
* 50 players on a page, not the whole list. Loading time is too long.
* Search members to challenge
* Put a name or number to challenge someone
* List of challenged people

See on point members section , we will work on this ..

More
18 years 10 months ago #2508 by swoozh

Wow, very cool, thank you swoozh for this great posting! Sure, the ideas are good. Every version of ss.de should be in other language but 100% the same content. If we add more versions, it would make much work for now and in future. Also I want to control the other versions but I cannot, because I cannot understand the new language. So we need more freaks, who speak the language and english or german, who I can trust, who are very active in scene and who will have much time to keep this new versions up-to-date. This is not easy and we need not only one freak for each version. Maybe some people are interested to help us.

You re welcome! :)

As you know I m interested to help with translating the website to Dutch.

Yes, this section was a good idea of me, but I need to realize it :-) Will come in future, this should be a very interesting section! Would be cool, if some people will send me some informations and photos about their controllers!

Nice! :D

I need to rebuild the Link-Section, but I don t want to build-in the Add your own link feature, because people can post their favorite URL s in this forum. I want to build this section only with surf hints from our team. But for SWOS sites, who want more visitors, the WebRing should be the right choice. I think the Ring was and is still a cool idea.

Oke, I understand and you are right. The webring does already have the most links.

Thanks for reacting on my post ;)

More
18 years 10 months ago #2510 by Incendio
Hi!

If we could challenge one by just typing the nick into a text field, this would definitely speed up things. If the SRN of a player is also displayed, in order to check who is in the chat - perfect!

There is also a way to shorten the challenge list. If one player did not enter any result or make any challenge or got any challenge for, say, one month, he will not be displayed in the challenge list. If he wants to play on someone else, he has to make the first challenge and after reloading, he will be back in the list for his opponent. For the case that both are not in the list, the complete list should be available, too, maybe over a link on the shorter list.

Finally, I still think that a light version could help shortening download times. Just have a look at the generated HTML code...

Best regards,
buehrenm

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds