Better connection wins the game!

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #61616 by Retrieving

The hack stuff is already 100% answered. It is NOT possible to cheat an online game with kaillera, because of desynch. If versions differ, the game looses synchronisation. (And Mr. Coolio scored his recorded goals in online matches).
That is FACT. And doesn t need an argument like we know cause we do . It s cold coffee, let s don t warm it up. It will taste horrible. ;)

Please post some links with info on GGPO and 2DF. Thank you.

@Playa: Fact? CiPiX (.de and sensibleita.com member, awesome player and great friend of mine) and I have played 2 full and consecutive (friendly) matches with slightly different hdf s (I had purposely dwindled down the skills of my custom team via editor, I just wanted to know what would ve happened) before eventually desynch ing, I couldn t tell whether my team got an actual disadvantage or not however if we managed to do such without even trying by just swapping a save-file (we re both like...computer-illiterates) I m pretty positive that SWOS could be hacked by someone who knows what he s doing.

Designing macroed controls for whatever action you may be out to exploit would be, in fact, even easier.

The odds of some sort of cheating routine being out there already are pretty slim due to the rather small playerbase, however ruling out the contingency completely would be definately naive (have you ever played any other online game? I ve yet to come across a cheat-free title and I used to review them for magazines, websites and the likes, so figures).

Again Playa you re backing up your arguments with nearly baseless assumptions (and haven t addressed my points either, red-herring syndrome anyone?), I repeat, neither of us does know it all and unless you re some sort of nutty hacker/programmer/net-guru I think you should be a little less abrupt and a little more open-minded, especially regarding stuff you clearly barely grasp.

Playa you re a pretty cool guy, always nice to talk with, however being an excellent SWOS player doesn t make you right by default, even on these boards. ;)

@LIK: being unable to do something shouldn t make you comfortable with shutting off completely your curiosity and critical spirit, making you as uninquisitive, naive and mind-numbed as it gets, either.

Enough with the hacking debate though, I ll challenge Coolio at DAYS 09 to see what he s all about with my own eyes anyway (that s one of the reasons why I m coming! - we ve even already agreed on an unscheduled friendlies session!) :P

back on topic!

Please post some links with info on GGPO and 2DF. Thank you.

I ll try to get in touch with the guys who ve coded them (I got an american friend who s really into 2D fighting Pro gaming, he ll point me in the right direction) and then, if possible, I ll make you talk with them directly (since you re the official representative of the european SWOS movement ), perhaps you ll be able to convince them to feature SWOS as well.

The topic has been locked.
More
15 years 1 month ago #61617 by Coolio_Jack

I m pretty positive that SWOS could be hacked by someone who knows what he s doing.

Yes, ok, just please dont reveal this to my parents, will be hard to explain then how come im strugling with my programming class at university.
More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #61618 by Retrieving
that sentence wasn t referred to anyone in particular, actually, was just talking in general. ;)
More
15 years 1 month ago #61620 by Kanu
We are going off topic... let s talk about lag/ping problems, not about suspected cheats etc.

In my opinion, you can t take something for granted. Retrieving thinks that GGPO could be a better way to play online, someone could have some doubts. But before trying, no one can say for sure that he s wrong.

Anyway, I think that a lag-free game wouldn t solve delay problems. They depend on ping, and ping is related to distance and connection, not to the client you use to play online. This is an opinion, not an absolute truth...
More
15 years 1 month ago #61621 by RobChef
The winuae/kaillera software is a mess, i hate it. Hopefully we get something better in the future.
More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #61622 by Playaveli

Playa you re a pretty cool guy, always nice to talk with, however being an excellent SWOS player doesn t make you right by default, even on these boards. ;)

Thanks mate.
But all your arguments are only assumptions, too. Haven t seen any prove yet for anything. Don t forget that. ;)
You haven t left the hypothetical area yet as far as SWOS is concerned.
I am a very open-minded person if you show me something which opens my mind.

Anyway, I m glad you will see that Coolio doesn t need hacked hard- or software to play like this in August, Sensible Days.
And once you ve witnessed that I am sure you ll pretty quickly forget about your hack-theories. ;)
More
15 years 1 month ago #61634 by Playaveli

@Retrieving: I am absolutely with you in here.

I don t see how we could not care whether the matches vs. players from Australia or the States could improve alot. Kaillera may work just fine in central Europe, but that does not mean things can t improve.

Falcon, make a phone call to Australia and one to Italy. Take a stop-watch and check which ring-signal is there first. There will be a difference of seconds (which is immense on the sector of telecommunication).
The delay in an online game is nothing else.
We cannot help it.

I ll try to get in touch with the guys who ve coded them (I got an american friend who s really into 2D fighting Pro gaming, he ll point me in the right direction) and then, if possible, I ll make you talk with them directly (since you re the official representative of the european SWOS movement ), perhaps you ll be able to convince them to feature SWOS as well.

Thanks. Pls do so.
But for now I would be happy with some kind of FAQ. Any links?
More
15 years 1 month ago #61695 by Falcon
Dude I m working in a Telco.... making a phone call goes a whole different route than data does. The necessity of the internet being the structure it is makes a comparision pretty awkward.

Data still has delay, but it is a different story.
More
15 years 1 month ago #61696 by Playaveli

Dude I m working in a Telco.... making a phone call goes a whole different route than data does. The necessity of the internet being the structure it is makes a comparision pretty awkward.

Data still has delay, but it is a different story.

Hm, somehow I doubt they have layed an extra cable underneath the ocean just for internet routines in the past century!
More
15 years 1 month ago #61701 by Falcon
It has nothing to do with cables, but with fixed routes and hardware devices realizing the route. Getting the signal into a voice network in a different country is not as easy as it sounds. And there are much less peering points for voice signals.
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds